Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Check if Phone is Jailbroken

Default How to Check if Phone is Jailbroken
    Hi!
    I've acquired a 3G S 16GB and I'm unable to determine if the phone has been jailbroken or not. I've bought an used one, ofcourse, and it has come through an intermediary who has absolutely no idea about jailbreaking/unlocking and so cannot confirm it. I have no idea who the previous owner is and how the phone got upgraded to 4.0.1.

There is no Cydia icon on the phone which is currently running iOS 4.0.1. So the questions are:
    1. How do I determine for sure if the phone has/not been jailbroken? Do other jailbreaking methods like Spirit, blackra1n install Cydia/Icy or do they use some other similar library, if that is indeed the right word? (please do not roll your eyes on reading this as I have never used these methods- always used Pwnage, redsn0w and Quickpwn through my iPhone and iPhone 3G days)

2. I also have no SHSH backups of this handset. Is there a way to determine if the backups of this handset's SHSHs are on Cydia? Umbrella says INVALID X.X.X (XXXX) under Save my SHSH. The Umbrella log says Found [0] shsh files to cache...Are the SHSH files necessary to upgrade to 4.0.2? I know you need them to downgrade, but as I think I will stick with iOS 4.0.1, I'd like to know.

3. Given that Iam on 4.0.1 and assuming I determine that the phone has not been jailbroken, can I follow Pwnage or other tools to have a jailbroken version installed on my phone?

4. Is it possible that I could have a carrier unlocked version of iPhone 3G S? If yes, is there any way to confirm that other than taking a risk and upgrading?

Please let me know as I do not want to upgrade and have a locked 4.0.2 version on my hands. Oh, by the way, the phone is on the old bootrom- I checked and it said iBoot- 359.3

Thanks

1.) all current jailbreak methods install cydia by default, not really sure if there is a way to determine if it's jailbroken just by looking except to look for things like winterboard, rock, crap there could be any number of cydia apps on there, I do know that if you try and jailbreak it again at least with jailbreakme it will tell you that it's already jailbroken if it is

2.)use tinyumbrella, connect the phone and under advanced change the dropdown menu to 3GS, 3.1.2 and click save my shsh's (make sure cydia is selected and not apple) if cydia has them it will let you know or say it doesn't have them, repeat this for 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1 and see which ones you have if any

3.)if you aren't able to get any shsh's then the only jailbreak option you have is to use jailbreakme, if you have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 you will need to downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with redsn0w and then you can use pwnagetool to create a custom 4.0 (can't remember if it's been updated to support 4.0.1) and restore to that since custom firmwares bypass the apple signing process and therefore don't require shsh's

4.)as for the carrier unlock other than putting your sim and seeing if it works I don't know-how to tell, if it's not unlocked then once you jailbreak you can use ultrasn0w to unlock it

if you don't have shsh's then jailbreakme is your only option at this point for a jailbreak, just be very careful what you install once you jailbreak because if something goes wrong that requires a restore your only option will be 4.0.2 for which there is no jailbreak at this time
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-08-24 at 07:57 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

ksureshkur (2010-08-24)

Thanks

I am of course assuming the phone boots untethered, meaning no intervention from an outside computer is needed to start up the device and get it running iOS.

If the phone is a new bootrom phone (serial number is xx945 or higher, or any xx0, specifically iBoot version 359.3.2), then the only way it can be jailbroken on iOS 4.0.1 is with JailbreakMe.

Jailbreakme leaves evidence of its presence every boot-up. A few seconds immediately after powering on the device, on the Apple logo screen, a multi-colored line/broken line appears about a quarter of the way down the screen for a few seconds, then the phone goes into "Slide to Unlock." If the line appears, it's jailbroken with Jailbreakme, if not, it's not.

For an old bootrom 3GS (serial number is xx940 or lower, specifically iBoot version 359.3) either Jailbreakme (same line appears) or PwnageTool/Sn0wbreeze could be used to move the device forward to iOS 4.0.1.
    There's no easy check for that method, other than seeing if Cydia is present on the device (installed by default by all three jailbreaks, and I'm fairly sure is not removable without a fair deal of effort.).

PS: For serials between 40 and 45, or for a refurbished phone in that same timeframe (serial begins 5K94...), you'll have to manually check the iBoot version.

Odds are though: if you don't see the line on the reboot, it's probably NOT jailbroken. If you do, it's 100% certain to be a jailbroken unit.

2: Umbrella not being able to detect your phone and OS is discomforting, as that's the way you'll back up whatever SHSH blobs Cydia may have for your device. SHSH blobs are necessary for every restore or upgrade of your 3GS's firmware. As a reminder, they are unique to your device and each firmware version.

3: Don't use PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze--both require an iBoot exploit (or in the case of the new bootrom phones, a new bootrom exploit too). Just point your iPhone to JailbreakMe and follow the instructions.

4: Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 (available from Cydia in default repo ultrasn0w.com) is a free unlock for the 3GS for all public basebands (including 05.13.04, the one included in iOS 4.0.1). No upgrade will be necessary.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-08-24 at 08:28 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

ksureshkur (2010-08-24)

Hi!
    My thanks first for the swift replies.

I did follow the advice given. It turns out that I was using a older version of TinyUmbrella. Got the 4.02.05 version and followed the directions on this page:
    TinyUmbrella 4.02.04 to Save SHSH Blobs of iOS 4.0.2 / iOS 3.2.2 - Covering Web

[Is it imperative that iTunes be running on the device for TinyUmbrella to detect & save the SHSHs? Anyway, for the record, I followed the directions and did so]

So TU says SHSH blobs for iPhone 3GS 4.0.2 (8A400) have been saved locally and the request sent to Cydia and Cydia DOES have my SHSH blobs, so do not bug semaphore

Does that mean, I can upgrade and jailbreak to 4.0.2 if there is a JB available for it yet, that is? j3st3r3 says there are none as yet.

One very important thing. Using the dropdown box under the Advanced Options on TinyUmbrella, if I select the iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 as the option for Device, will my SHSH blobs for that version get saved on Cydia too, making it possible for me to downgrade and JB without hassles?

What I would like to know is are the SHSH blobs different for different versions of iOS? If that is the case, then can I select the iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 option on Device, save the SHSH blobs and proceed to have a jailbroken version of 4.0.1 installed using Pwnage or redsn0w? If the phone gets locked, I can use ultrasn0w, I guess, right?

The bootrom, as I have mentioned earlier, is the older one.

I guess I did not read the article, whise URL I have mentioned above, completely. It clearly says SHSH blobs are unique signatures for each firmware version and hence they need to be saved for JB the devices. Sorry for asking the question about them being different for different versions.

Coming to my SHSH blobs, TU informs that I can only get back to iOS 4.0 and not below that. I'm TOO late it says and there is NO way now to get the blobs for 3.1.3 and below.

I have another doubt. I did not notice the TSS SERVER running during the process of using TU to save my SHSHs. I have seen other screenshots where the text NOT Running changes to a green progress bar. But TU declares:
    08/24/2010 13:56:49.073 TSS Server has cached the following files:
    08/24/2010 13:56:49.087 iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)-742393xxxxxx
    08/24/2010 13:56:49.099 iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)-742393xxxxxx
    08/24/2010 13:56:49.111 iPhone3GS 4.0.2 (8A400)-742393xxxxxx
    08/24/2010 13:56:49.131 Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed!
    So can I be sure that my files are indeed on Cydia and can proceed with JBing to the versions mentioned by TU?
    Last edited by ksureshkur; 2010-08-24 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

That's pretty good news. There's little difference between 4.0 and 4.0.1 save for how the signal bars are rendered, and 4.0 is jailbreakable and unlockable. So should the worst happen, you can downgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak and unlock.

Thanks

by using the dropdown menu and changing to 3GS 3.1.3, etc you are basically checking to see if whomever had the phone before you jailbroke and saved shsh blobs, if it turned out you do indeed have other blobs then you can restore to whichever firmware you have them for