Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are any of the 4.0's unlockable for the 3G?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so if I leave 3.1.3 on the phone, the best software to unlock it is ultrasn0w.

What if I update it to 4.0.2?

Now there's a 4.1 update, any chance there's an unlock for this?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you update to 4.0.2 youll need SHSHs to do so since 4.1 is out. Upgrading to 4.1 will update your baseband so you wont be able to unlock with Ultrasn0w.

If you can get to 4.0 or 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 with SHSHs you can still JB with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no idea what SHSHs are, so my best bet is just to leave it on 3.1.3 and unlock with ultrasn0w until an unlock is released for 4.1. I've never used ultrasn0w before, do I have to download redsn0w first, then the ultrasn0w?

How did I know this was going to be trouble.

So I'm assuming you have to download and install sn0wbreeze on the phone to get to ultrasn0w through Cydia.

Well when I was restoring the phone with the custom ipsw, I get an error code 1604, then 1603, and then again.

So I do some more researching and it shows that I need to download and run iREB. So I do this and when I click on the device I'm using (iPhone 3G), nothing happens.

So now I'm stuck and so is the phone because it will not power on or do anything.

What now?

Anyone? I wanted to get this phone unlocked so I can sell it.
    Last edited by maxvette; 2010-09-11 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you don't want to deal with SHSHes right now just stay on 3.1.3. In your Cydia make sure you're starting to save them now.

If you want to update Cydia will tel lyou which SHSH files you have. You can download the firmware from Modmyi, download tinyumbrella, start TSS server, and shift-restore in iTunes.

Yes, you install ultrasn0w from Cydia after you jailbreak. You will need to add the repository repo666.ultrasn0w.com

Have you tried jailbreaking with redsn0w?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I still have no clue what SHSH's are. The phone already had 3.1.3 on it, so I don't have to downgrade.

Again, I downloaded and ran sn0wbreeze 1.5.2 which is the version for 3.1.3 OS. It created the custom firmware, but when I press shift Restore, it fails after a while and gives me error code 1604/1603/1602. I did some reading and it says to download iREB which I did, but when I run it and press the iPhone 3G button, nothing happens although it says the screen on the phone should turn white.

Can't use sn0wbreeze on new bootrom 3gs. The best way would to be to use spirit or jailbreakme, but you will need to activate the phone with either any legit sim or a phonebook sim.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The phone is a 3G, not 3GS. Does that make a difference?

3G, good. Restore to stock 3.1.3 (I'm pretty sure you can on a 3g). Download redsn0w 0.9.4, right here and use that. If you read the instructions properly (in the program) it will work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I tried jailbreaking with redsn0w and what do you know...another failure. I used 0.9.4 and on the last step where it says, "Please wait while your device is being processed" it gets stuck on Waiting for reboot. Nothing happens and it's been a good 15 mins. or so where it says that. So now what? Why is this so difficult?

Thanks

I would suggest restoring to a fresh 3.1.3 and retrying redsn0w

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Or after restoring to 3.1.3, use Jailbreakme.com from safari on your iphone

Agreed, as I said in a post above.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I assume that I did a fresh restore. I pressed shift restore and selected 3.1.3 ipsw and it locked up on "Waiting for reboot" when jailbreaking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12