Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone4 Unlimited Data w/Jailbroken Tether Bill

Default Iphone4 Unlimited Data w/Jailbroken Tether Bill
    I have the ATT unlimited data plan on my IP4 and I just recently jailbroke my phone. I wanted to start tethering with mywi but I heard that the unlimited data plan is actually up to 5gbs and I can be charged for exceeding that. I searched on the web but I have yet to site a solid source to people that have been caught using jail-broken tethering.

I can understand people with capped plans getting caught but has anyone here broken tethered on an unlimited plan and gotten charged by ATT or knows someone who has?

Is there really even a way besides rate of data usage for ATT to tell if Im tethering?
    Last edited by Aarongabe; 2010-08-24 at 03:00 AM. Reason: grammar

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Basically, go ahead and tether, you'll be fine. But I am pretty sure there IS a 5 gig limit. I remember hearing something about it being that way in the contract? But I have never heard of anyone getting owned on their bill because of using miwi. Heck, I tethered Xbox Live and they didn't care.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

Aarongabe (2010-08-24)

you tethered xbox live! Wow I wonder how much data that was. Im sure a ton. If they didnt say anything then it must be ok unless their keeping an eye on you and can tell the difference on how your using their signal.

Thanks

Surprisingly it wasn't, I was actually hoping to waste some haha, my friend has super crappy internet, so me and a couple guys wanted to be stupid to see how it'd work. MW2 sucks.... it takes about 5 minutes to find a game because of the huge latency (about 900 ms hahaha), but when we got in game, it really wasn't that laggy, heck, it worked better than the internet connection we had at my friend's house (which sucked). Now, if we had done Netflix, yeah, my data would have died. But MW2 for about an hour of play time took up about 150 mb or so. No more than 200

How long have you been tethering on the net with your Iphone? Have you ever gone over the 5gig limit?

Thanks

I haven't been tethering too long, I just switched to AT$T (not AT&T as some like to call it) last month from T-Mobile (who had abysmal coverage at my house) and have only been tethering a little here and there since the jailbreak was released. I am sadly stuck on the 2 gig plan, so I couldn't use that much data if I wanted. I just simply monitor my data usage in that mywireless app on the app store and make sure not to go over. I'm pretty sure I won't get dinged for the sporadic tethering I do now and then, lots of people use MyWi on a consistent basis are have yet to get charged for it.

Lol AT$T is right! Good one haha Ill have to put that as the nickname for ATT on my banks auto bill pay link! Well I guess I'll try it out I mean I guess there is no way for ATT to know how you use that 2gb just if you go over or not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I used 10 gig last month. Several other months I've gone over 5 gig. Never have I been even asked about it.

Thanks

Other carriers unlimited caps at 5gb not AT&T.

Thanks

Source:
    AT&T Adds iPhone Tethering, Kills Unlimited Data for iPad, Smartphones | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    "The new plans are rather simple. DataPlus gives you 200 MB of data per month for $15 (and you can add an extra 200 MB for another $15). DataPro cuts you from the 5-GB “unlimited” plan to 2 GB and it will cost $25. Get an additional 1 GB for another $10."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Source:
    AT&T Adds iPhone Tethering, Kills Unlimited Data for iPad, Smartphones | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    "The new plans are rather simple. DataPlus gives you 200 MB of data per month for $15 (and you can add an extra 200 MB for another $15). DataPro cuts you from the 5-GB “unlimited” plan to 2 GB and it will cost $25. Get an additional 1 GB for another $10."
    well you have to obviously realize that the 2GB plan is so much cheaper than te other.... but i have my 3g so i still have unlimited no cap or anything..... but i dont have the money to get MiWi

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T definitely has a soft cap of 5GB, it's in the ToS. However, they've never chosen to wield that stick with me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

neodude237 (2010-08-24)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    AT&T definitely has a soft cap of 5GB, it's in the ToS. However, they've never chosen to wield that stick with me.
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. I have no idea what the guy above you is talking about

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. I have no idea what the guy above you is talking about
    well, im talking about the 200MB plan and the 2GB plan and that you should know that the 2GB plan is much cheaper than the 200MB plan..... and i would be using all of my data if i could afford to get mywi.... or tetherme i guess.....

Ok Well I havn't tethered yet and I just hit 12gb for this month. I am going to probably check out the tethering but Im just confused as to why AT$T would label a plan "unlimited" if they know 5gbs is not a lot for todays hardcore internet user standards.

On your handset alone, Playing games, downloading movies, watching youtube every day for a month will get you well over 5gbs easy. I plan to tether for architecture school and we do a lot of emailing large pdfs this can bring me up to 15gbs a month. If I hear of someone getting in trouble I'd rather just consider my "unlimited" data limited

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aarongabe View Post
    Ok Well I havn't tethered yet and I just hit 12gb for this month. I am going to probably check out the tethering but Im just confused as to why AT would label a plan "unlimited" if they know 5gbs is not a lot for todays hardcore internet user standards.

On your handset alone, Playing games, downloading movies, watching youtube every day for a month will get you well over 5gbs easy. I plan to tether for architecture school and we do a lot of emailing large pdfs this can bring me up to 15gbs a month. If I hear of someone getting in trouble I'd rather just consider my "unlimited" data limited
    Like Sam said, it's a "soft" cap, you might not get docked for using it? Sadly I'm stuck on the 2 gig plan

Thanks

I been from 10-21gb a month for a year with att , no drama yet