Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick question before I jb a coworkers 3gs

Default Quick question before I jb a coworkers 3gs
    Ok so I just want to reconfirm this before I mess something up. A coworker wants me to jb his 3GS. Now the phone has never been jb before and he's currently running 3.13. So now I can jb 3.13 with jailbreakme.com but since he has no shsh on file for 4.0.1, I cannot update him correct? So basically if he wants to update to 4.0+ and still jb he will have to wait til the newest fw and jb drops right? But I can safely jb him if he stays on 3.13 right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Your options are either stay on 3.1.3 and jailbreak via jailbreakme.com (or spirit if you want), or update to stock 4.0.2 (which I recommend NOT doing) and wait for a jailbreak.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    Ok so I just want to reconfirm this before I mess something up. A coworker wants me to jb his 3GS. Now the phone has never been jb before and he's currently running 3.13. So now I can jb 3.13 with jailbreakme.com but since he has no shsh on file for 4.0.1, I cannot update him correct? So basically if he wants to update to 4.0+ and still jb he will have to wait til the newest fw and jb drops right? But I can safely jb him if he stays on 3.13 right?
    Correct. However, if anything happens to his phone and he needs a restore, he will NOT be able to restore to anything lower than 4.0.2 and therefore will not be able to re-jailbreak until a new method comes out.

Make sure to hit "Make my life easier, thanks!" for him in Cydia (assuming he's okay with it). He'll thank you someday for it.

So basically he can really only jb once, if something gets messed up he's stuck till 4.1 and the new jb is out? He's not desperate for it so maybe I'll just explain it to him he may just have to wait.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well to be fair, it's fairly hard to screw up a jailbreak unless you are constantly downloading and installing random apps. If he just gets a few generics everyone uses (such as sbssettings), he should be fine. May as well let him take the chance now and get used to it then upgrade to 4.1 whenever there's a jailbreak for it
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Yeah he's so new to this stuff. Honestly I don't think he will really understand the whole process but I'll give him the choice. The last coworker I jb and unlocked I told him numerous times not to update. So he went and updated. I think some people can't grasp the whole jb rules lol. Thanks guys