Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes doesn't see my phone

Default iTunes doesn't see my phone
    Apologies if this has already been covered- I searched but couldn't find an answer. My JB/unlocked 3GS is on 3.1.2. I just upgraded iTunes to 9.2.1 in order to upgrade my phone to 4.0, but iTunes doesn't even see the phone when it's connected. I have been up to 4.0 on my phone through another computer, but went back down because my apps, music, etc. are on the computer I just upgraded, so I know I can get my phone to 4.0 if only iTunes will see it. I can't go the jailbreakme route because I need hactivation. I have lots of hashes stored, have edited my hosts file, etc. I've reinstalled iTunes to no avail. Is there something I need to modify on my computer? (It was kind of a funky iTunes upgrade- long story.) Any ideas?

Should I upgrade my phone on the other computer and then see if the recently-upgraded computer recognizes my 3GS when it's at 4.0? I really need the official apps stored on the recently-upgraded computer.
    Last edited by Amadomon; 2010-08-23 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

try completely uninstalling iTunes and install again (since you said it was "kind of a funky iTunes upgrade), should hopefully fix the problem

Fair enough, but no reported problems with 9.2.1 and severely jb/ul'd phones?

Nope, no love from iTunes even after uninstalling and reinstalling. What gives?? iTunes is such crap.
    Last edited by Amadomon; 2010-08-23 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wonky USB cable? Does Windows recognize it?
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Did you try DFU or Recovery Mode? iTunes always picks my phone up in Recovery Mode. One time I couldnt get it into DFU so I used Recovery instead.

Btw if you wanna go to 4.0, you cant hacktivate. Youll need an official carrier's SIM on a 3GS. You can go the PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze route if you have the old boot, but if you have the new boot, jailbreakme is the only option.

Yeah I've got a homecooked fw that I've already successfully installed before from another computer, but I downgraded because there weren't enough compatible apps. I'll try other solutions tomorrow. (it's an old-boot phone,)

UPDATE: 3GS now on 4.0 through the use of another computer. My computer still doesn't see my phone, so no music, contacts, etc. Also had to manually install all apps (what a pain). Interestingly, my girlfriend's new computer (and thus also iTunes 9.2.1) doesn't see her phone either. What is up??

iOS 4 is mostly a pain- the file structure is rather different, making modding a PITA.

Oh, and, now the app store crashes every time I try to install another app. Gotta love Apple...
    Last edited by Amadomon; 2010-08-24 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you've reinstalled iTunes and put the device in DFU if seems like a hardware problem on your computer. Do other usb devices work?

Thanks everyone, problem solved. iTunes didn't update properly, and I didn't fully uninstall it before reinstalling. Back to fully dialed-in iPhone goodness!