Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot restore jailbroken 2G-no backup and no idea what firmware it had installed

Default Cannot restore jailbroken 2G-no backup and no idea what firmware it had installed
    So I bought an iphone from someone, but I have no way of contacting that person. I wanted to do a reset to erase all the phone numbers, so (thinking it would be like any other phone reset) I told it to reset itself. Now I can't restore it. Apparently it was jailbroken and I have no back up for the phone nor do I have any idea what version of firmware was installed on it. Someone please help? I just want to be able to use the phone!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Put the phone in DFU mode:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    Then restore it up in iTunes.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by therealcera View Post
    So I bought an iphone from someone, but I have no way of contacting that person. I wanted to do a reset to erase all the phone numbers, so (thinking it would be like any other phone reset) I told it to reset itself. Now I can't restore it. Apparently it was jailbroken and I have no back up for the phone nor do I have any idea what version of firmware was installed on it. Someone please help? I just want to be able to use the phone!!
    Let Itunes restore to the latest firmware which is 3.1.3 and
    Read this guide to activate , jailbreak and unlock all in one process.
    How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

I have already tried getting itunes to restore it, and everytime I do that I get an error code saying either it was unable to download the file or that it cannot contact the itunes store...my baby's dad has an iphone so I had him try to fix it too but he says I need some program that tricks it into thinking it's new so it will give me all available options?...

Thanks

^^^^^^^
    huh? never heard of such, try putting it in dfu mode as neodude suggested and then follow the guide that yeow linked for you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therealcera View Post
    I have already tried getting itunes to restore it, and everytime I do that I get an error code saying either it was unable to download the file or that it cannot contact the itunes store...my baby's dad has an iphone so I had him try to fix it too but he says I need some program that tricks it into thinking it's new so it will give me all available options?...
    Umm, well there's certainly no program like that. It sounds like your computer is having problems accessing iTunes? Check your connection/try to find a computer with a better one and restore it on that.

I had it in that mode when I tried to do the restore in itunes, and I tried to do it on both of my computers. One wouldn't let me down load the file and the other one downloaded it and looked like it went through the whole installation process only to tell me at the end that it was unable to restore it. But that guide did have a copy of the file I guess I needs to install on it?--that will work even if my phone was jailbroken? So I'll try doing it with that file instead of whatever file itunes downloads? and see what happens. THANK YOU VERY MUCH BTW for everyones help!!

Thanks

You can try restoring to 3.1.3 if you want from the guide. Just download the firmware bundle and shift + restore in iTunes.

K got the phone back from my baby daddy, tried to use the file I already had downloaded to restore the phone in itunes, but can't seem to figure out how. I'm running on windows 7 btw, so right now my issue is even getting it to update the firmware...I keep getting an error message saying that the connection timed outfor the download, but I already HAVE the file downloaded, I just can't get itunes to use it! Any suggestions would be very appreciated thanks!!

error code is 3259 if that helps
    Last edited by therealcera; 2010-08-26 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost