Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Without SHSH there is no way for you to restore to 4.0/4.0.1. Sorry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

puneetrai1978 (2010-09-11)

Right, you might as well update to 4.1 and wait for the latest jailbreak to become public.

Thanks

If you rely on unlock you should not update to 4.1 as that will kill your chances of unlocking even after the new jailbreak comes out. There is a way to update to 4.1 and preserve your baseband with the newest tiny umbrella, that is detailed on the tiny umbrella blog. However even doing this now will still mean you will have to wait for the jailbreak to come out to unlock again. If you dont need to unlock and there is no way of fixing your current situation then doing as korin125 says is probably your only option right now.

Thanks for your advice.I will just wait for the jailbreak of 4.02 as i have the ssh for it.Anyways i can not use my phone till then cause i am based in India and the iphone4 does not work here without a jailbreak.
    It would be great if you could just message me once the jailbreak is out for 4.02 or 4.1.Thanks again.

thanks again for your wonderful walk through. i helped my mom restore her phone to 4.0.1 without a hitch. i did not even have to kick it out of recovery with TU. fyi, her phone came with 3.1.2 with a newer bootloader (tethered jb with blackrain).

i`m trying to do the same thing with my phone, 3.1.2 with older bootloader (untethered jb with blackrain) but i ran into error 1611. anyone else experienced this issue… i was lucky enough to be able to kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella.

any suggestion or advice is greatly appreciated

UPDATE:
    well now i don't have that problem, but i'm running into the 3002 error at the beginning of the restore (after itunes extracts the file). i've tried 2 computers and different usb ports resulting with the same problem. it's weird because the same computer that i used to restore my mom's iphone ran perfectly while it did not for my phone. any suggestions?

FINAL UPDATE:
    sorry foolish me, forgot to save SHSH again :$
    Last edited by mojof1; 2010-09-13 at 12:18 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

iPhone 3g upgrading to 4.0.1 with T/U

How long does the firmware upgrade usually take? I'm up to 2+1/2hrs now

that's mighty long

took me half an hour at most including restoring profile and settings (3Gs)

When 4.0 came out I heard many podcasters complain that their upgrades took up to 3 hours. However, if you unplug, DFU, and restart the restore, and it still takes that long. Just let it continue. Most likely it will take less time that that.

after ripping my hair out with misc websites on how to jailbreak and downgrade my iPhone 3G 4.1 t0 3.1.3 to 4.0, i am so glad i landed here!!!

With your instructions, i was able to downgrade (4.1 firmware on itunes & 3.1.3 on my iphone) to 4.0, retrieve my contacts, and get cydia via jailbreakme.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive got a 16gb 3GS that I want update to 4.1 but keep the basband thats on it now which is 05.13.04. I can follow the tutorial without any problems, I just need to download the 4.1 IOS but I cannot find it anywherew. Can someone link me up please. Thanks guys. Aslo, once I have updated to 4.1, I assume I just use ultrasn0w.

Thanks

If you are planning on using that unofficial modified pwnage tool I would recommend against it and wait for the official pwnage tool to be updated.

If you upgraded your 3G to 4.1, DO NOT JAILBREAK!!! I learned the hard way. Technically, redsn0w will work, but you lose things like wi-fi, phone app, cydia, etc. I lost the ability to shut down and had to force it into recovery mode to do a restore in iTunes. I lost all my tunes and pics and had to resync everything over again.

Be patient and wait for the dev team!!!

can anyoe help me out.... everytime i open up tinyumbrella it keeps saying i need to close out port 80.... how do i check which programs are open on port 80.... i need to upgrade my 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1...

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    If you are planning on using that unofficial modified pwnage tool I would recommend against it and wait for the official pwnage tool to be updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh99 View Post
    If you upgraded your 3G to 4.1, DO NOT JAILBREAK!!! I learned the hard way. Technically, redsn0w will work, but you lose things like wi-fi, phone app, cydia, etc. I lost the ability to shut down and had to force it into recovery mode to do a restore in iTunes. I lost all my tunes and pics and had to resync everything over again.

Be patient and wait for the dev team!!!
    Thanks for the help guys. On that advice, I will wait. A JB cant't be too far away away now surly. ( I hope a new unlock isnt too far behind)

I have a 3G with version 3.12 and currently jailbroken with Blackrain.

However I'm unable to unlock it.

I used Itunes to install v3.12
    used Blackrain to jailbreak

Now have problem unlocking as Bootloader Version is 05.09 [G2M3S2]
    Baseband is ICE2-05.14.02

is there a current fix to unlock this version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muzicstar View Post
    I have a 3G with version 3.12 and currently jailbroken with Blackrain.

However I'm unable to unlock it.

I used Itunes to install v3.12
    used Blackrain to jailbreak

Now have problem unlocking as Bootloader Version is 05.09 [G2M3S2]
    Baseband is ICE2-05.14.02

is there a current fix to unlock this version?
    Sorry there is no unlock for that baseband yet. It might be awhile until there is one.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

BigCol (2010-09-15)

Sorry there is no unlock for that baseband yet. It might be awhile until there is one.
    Thank you for replying. Having looked around now for a solution, I thought that might be the case.

Just another thought, if I purchased a PAYG sim card that was the original carrier, would that work, or will nothing work anymore? And will my phone still be jailbroken? Sorry for all the questions, I am totally new to all this and it's been quite a learning curve the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by entycemeee View Post
    can anyoe help me out.... everytime i open up tinyumbrella it keeps saying i need to close out port 80.... how do i check which programs are open on port 80.... i need to upgrade my 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1...
    in DOS

netstat -aon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muzicstar View Post
    Thank you for replying. Having looked around now for a solution, I thought that might be the case.

Just another thought, if I purchased a PAYG sim card that was the original carrier, would that work, or will nothing work anymore? And will my phone still be jailbroken? Sorry for all the questions, I am totally new to all this and it's been quite a learning curve the past few days.
    A payg sim from original carrier might work, not too sure, and it wont affect your jailbreak.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

muzicstar (2010-09-15)

A payg sim from original carrier might work, not too sure, and it wont affect your jailbreak.
    Unfortunately it hasn't. The original carrier was o2. I then managed to jailbreak and unlock it to Vodafone. This worked a treat until my phone crashed completely. I then foolishly restored on a new laptop with no other saved settings, and it restored it to the new version along with the updated firmware. So I thought that if I purchased a Sim card from o2 that it might work. And now I'm not even sure if I just restore the phone completely via Itunes (I.e. losing the jailbreak) if the new sim card will work so that I can at least sell it as an unlocked phone.

Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast