Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring 3GS to 4.0.1

Default Restoring 3GS to 4.0.1
    My WiFi connection has gone woky and I was looking for help to restore my 3GS to 4.0.1

My SHSH file are saved on my PC and Cydia. Is this all I have to do to restore my iPhone to 4.0.1? See below

All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.

So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Or do I need to restore for the 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Also how do I restore all third party apps. I backed up everything with PkgBackup and synched my iPhone. Do I need to just reload PkgBackup from Cydia?

New to this so any advice would be helpful.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holl0wm1nd's Avatar
    Thanks

As you have your SHSH blobs saved on Cydia, that's what you need to do.
    You'll need the .ipsw for 4.0.1 that can be downloaded from here.
    As for the third party apps, you can use either AptBackup or PkgBackup, run it and create a backup with iTunes (very important). After the restoring process is complete, restore your backup from iTunes. Then go to Cydia, install the app you had previously used, open it and restore the backup.
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holl0wm1nd For This Useful Post:

AqrsKnight* (2010-08-23)

Instead of messing with iTunes files you could just use tiny umbrealla.
    If you don't already have it download the 4.0.1 firmware here
    Backup your Cydia apps with AptBackup, I have a tutorial here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to korin125 For This Useful Post:

AqrsKnight* (2010-08-23)

I had 4.0.2 on my 3GS... all i did to downgrade was download the 4.0.1 os here and force it to recover with that...

i did not have to mess with the hosts file. i'm jail broken with jailbreakme.com and everything's perfect.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holl0wm1nd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by q2subzero View Post
    I had 4.0.2 on my 3GS... all i did to downgrade was download the 4.0.1 os here and force it to recover with that...

i did not have to mess with the hosts file. i'm jail broken with jailbreakme.com and everything's perfect.
    This is because you did it when Apple was still signing 4.0.1. Now they stopped.
    If you want to install 4.0.1 today, you'll have to edit the host file.
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!

Thanks.

I thought I could use tinyumberlla to restore and I already have the 4.0.1 ipsw downloaded.
    As for the third party apps since I backed up with Pkgbackup and synced with iTunes the backup should still be there when I restor it right? Then just jailbreak again and install Pkgbackup and restore the back up right?

If everything went well it should work. I have always used AptBackup and a couple times it didn't work for me, but yes it should.
    If it was on 3.x.x before it is NOT a good idea to restore apps from a previous firmware on to 4.0.1