Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g jailbroken with iOS4 - how do I format and restore?

Default 3g jailbroken with iOS4 - how do I format and restore?
    Hey guys, I've been googling for a few hours and I have a pretty unique situation I feel. I just bought an iphone 3g from a friend and he has it jailbroken with some version of iOS 4. However, he has a zillion pictures, songs, and apps that I dont want and I really want to format it. As well, iOS 4 is very slow it seems and I would rather have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 I think. I also need to unlock it so that it works on t-mobile.

Basically, how do I go about clearing all of the data off the phone and getting it to a version of OS 3? Can I just plug it into itunes, let it restore, and then re-jailbreak it to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3? I doubt it can be this simple.. Any help is very appreciated!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

To restore, you need to download the 3.1.2 firmware, then put the phone in DFU mode and shift-restore in iTunes. When it's done, it'll produce a 1015 error. To get out of that, run TinyUmbrella and choose the 'kick out of ...' option. Then jailbreak with either blackra1n, redsn0w, Spirit or jailbreakme.com. Blackra1n or redsn0w are probably the better options of the four, since they jailbreak at a lower level.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

thanks for the help, much appreciated, I still have a few more questions though. How do i put the phone into DFU mode? As well, is tinyumbrella pretty self explanatory to use or is it pretty complicated? Also, what do you mean by shift restore? sorry, the only iphone I've jailbroken is my old 2g and it was significantly more simple haha. thanks for the guidance!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

1. iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    2. Download this:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw
    3. In iTunes, hold shift and then click the restore button on the iPhone page and browse for the firmware you downloaded in step two.
    4. Let it do its thing and then if it errors at all during the process, try and kick it out of recovery mode with tinyumbrella, which you can get here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7078752/Umbr...la-4.02.04.exe
    5. Go to jailbreakme.com and re-jb if you want
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks