Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newb: Question about restoring fresh to 4.0.1 then jailbreak then unlock

Default Newb: Question about restoring fresh to 4.0.1 then jailbreak then unlock
    Hi,

I just bought a used iphone 4. It is on 4.0.1. However, cydia give me weird error and I can not find ultrasnow on it. When i go on jailbreakme.com it says "your phone has already been jailbroken, it may be harmful to do it again". I got scared and did not jailbreak again. I want to do a fresh restore then jailbreak then unlock it. I heard something about SHSH but not sure what it is and how to back it up since cydia doesn't work now.

If i download the 4.0.1 (4): iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw file and restore the phone to that file. Will I get the emergy call only iphone? If so, how do I go on jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the phone?

I'm new to iphone 4 so please help

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hommer For This Useful Post:

Chilalo (2010-08-21)

Thanks

the only way you will be able to restore to 4.0.1 is if whomever you bought the phone from saved the shsh's for 4.0 or 4.0.1 in cydia, start cydia and at the top of the cydia home screen it will say this device has ios shsh's on file for 4.0, 4.0.1, if not then you can only restore to 4.0.2 and there is no jailbreak available for it at this time, if you do have shsh's then you can use either of these guides to restore (even though the guide is for a 3GS it is the same for the iphone 4

iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS Using a Cydia Saved SHSH [Windows]

iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS Using a Cydia Saved SHSH [Mac]