Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 where 4.0.1 is not available anymore

Unhappy 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 where 4.0.1 is not available anymore
    I have a Device: iPhone3GS 3.1.2 (7D11) Model: MC134AB/A Baseband: 05.11.07 - 6.4_M3S2 Jailbroken Untethered by Blackra1n and i want to upgrade to iOS 4.0.1 but its not available anymore. Apple had released 4.0.2 which kills jailbreakme.com.

I have a saved SHSH Blobs in Cydia. I tried doing the "Downgrading Method" 2 ways thru tinyumbrella and cydia directly (hosts file modification) but both gives me error 3014.

i found a Blog which tells that if you get this error just run tinyumbrella "kick out of recovery mode". so i did and it relly were kicked out of DFU BUT the problem is it just went back to DFU mode (Untethered) where as i read it from other posts it should boot to my downloaded 4.0.1 ipsw (shift-restore thru itunes).

I followed the turorial here im Modmyi and i can say i followed it very carefully.

Can somebody help me please.

Thanks

(sorry for a bit chaotic desc)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

so apple has stopped signing the 4.0.1? and trust me, i have tried the process so many different times...... i havent gotten it to work either.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't bother with Cydia or TinyUmbrella for going to 4.0.1. Just download the firmware and shift-restore in iTunes. That's it, no need to follow any guide. Make sure there are no references to gs.apple.com in the hosts file.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Don't bother with Cydia or TinyUmbrella for going to 4.0.1. Just download the firmware and shift-restore in iTunes. That's it, no need to follow any guide. Make sure there are no references to gs.apple.com in the hosts file.
    this is the post that i was talking about....

I got it to work already.. 3 things in my conclusion that probably made it to work.

1. above all.. i downloaded the latest itunes.

2. I tried it thru my Laptop (Vaio i5 Windows 7 64 bit) tho my desktop is a lot lot faster and capable than my laptop thing is I have several server applications running in there for my work.

3. If im not mistaken it has something to do with the sequencing of tinyumbrella and itunes, whichever should be running first. below is the sequence that i followed.

a. I opened tinyumbrella and acquired the SHSH Blobs from Saurik server
    - i saved it and displayed just to be sure i got the SHSH
    b. Start the TSS server. make sure it doesnt says something like "cant run tss something is running in port 80 yadah.. yadah.."
    c. I unplugged my iPhone.
    d. I turned my iPhone OFF.
    e. I started Itunes.
    f. press the home button of iphone then plug it in without letting go of the home button.
    g. when itunes says it detected iPhone in recovery mode i let go of the home button.
    h. pressed shift and click restore, then select the downloaded ipsw 4.0.1
    I. there it goes... it upgrade to a higher FW version.

hope this helps to anyone.. try combining all those that i did.. better yet do what i did.

Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skater38053's Avatar
    Thanks

So if you have 4.0.1 downloaded you can still do this even if apple is no longer signing for 4.0.1??

@Skater - thats why you have to save your SHSH Blobs to Saurik Server thru Cydia OR grab and save it thru TinyUmbrella..

what the Saurik server and the TinyUmbrella do is it mimic the Apple server. Itunes talk to apple server everytime you restore or upgrade.

you can find the tutorial for both ways somewhere here in MODMYI..

my thanks to all the developers that made this possible.. (umbrellaware, Saurik, etc)

"Thanks Apple, Better luck next time"

and yeah.. i think Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 . I tried what Dhamien said
    Last edited by thevise; 2010-08-19 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone skater38053's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks. I was just asking i have my blobs saved on my comp
    Cyida and thru tiny umbrella l and downloaded 4.0,4.0.1 from mmi just incase anything happens to my presious jailbroken I4