Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading Jailbreak

Default Downgrading Jailbreak
    So I recently performed a jailbreak on my iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0.2 using Redsnow. After the jailbreak, I found out that most of the apps I want aren't compatible with IOS4. How do I downgrade to 3.1.3? Do I have to flash my iPhone with Apple's firmware first, and then jailbreak it again?

Also, should I downgrade to 3.1.2 instead of 3.1.3. I've read that 3.1.3 can prevent you from jailbreaking your iPhone if its not done correctly.

And finally, when I downgrade, will I lose features like folders? Thanks in advance for your help.

--objTerminal

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

3.1.2 or 3.1.3 will be fine since you're on a 3G. Just downgrade in iTunes then re-jailbreak with your method of choice. (redsn0w, spirit, jailbreakme, pwnagetool, etc.)
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

objTerminal (2010-08-18)

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    3.1.2 or 3.1.3 will be fine since you're on a 3G. Just downgrade in iTunes then re-jailbreak with your method of choice. (redsn0w, spirit, jailbreakme, pwnagetool, etc.)
    When you said "Just downgrade in iTunes", I'm assuming you mean I have to 'Restore' using the 3.1.3 firmware, correct?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah he does, shift+click restore in iTunes, also you can get a app from cydia that lets you make folders

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will13 For This Useful Post:

Mrphd (2010-08-19), objTerminal (2010-08-18)

I don't think it's working. So far, I've attempted to downgrade in iTunes four or five times unsuccessfully. The phone either ends up in 'recovery mode' (iTunes logo with the usb cable) or I get stuck in what appears to be DFU mode (black screen and iTunes won't detect the phone). Any thoughts?

--objTerminal

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

use recboot to kick it out of recovery mode..... what error were you given?

I've gotten 1600, 1601, 1604, and 1015. Currently, the device is "Restoring iPhone Firmware". I'll try it if it doesn't recover properly.

Thanks

Yeah, either use recboot or tiny umbrella, and it should be back to normal.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah them errors are normal if I remmber right.. And you could use Tinyumbrella instead of Recboot (find tiny easier myself)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah i forgot about that button on tiny.....

OK, so Recboot kicked the device out of 'Recovery Mode', thanks. I used sn0wbreeze 1.5.2 to create a modded firmware, however when I try to restore it, iTunes stalls on 'Preparing iPhone for restore...', and then fails with the error message, 'The iPhone "<iPhone Name>" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1601).'

So far, in the process, when this has happened, I just restarted iTunes, and the restore usually picks up where it left off. That hasn't worked so far.

I'm pretty positive the iPhone is in DFU mode (black screen...none of the buttons bring it out). I've tried restarting the process several times, and I've also rebooted the computer several times. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Honestly, don't use sn0wbreeze. Go for jailbreakme.com.