Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak 3Gs with firmware 3.0.1

Default How to Jailbreak 3Gs with firmware 3.0.1
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3Gs running 3.0.1 firmware, it has never been jail broken before. I try to use jailbreakme.com but it requires iOs 4.0 and above. If I upgrade trough iTunes, I will get 4.0.2 and unjailbreakable (for the moment). Is 4.0.1 still signed? what is the best thing to try?

thanks

Thanks

it's really up to you, alot of apps will require 3.1.3 or higher to run so if you want to go to 4.0.1 then you can download the ipsw from the download section of this site and hold shift while clicking restore and point itunes at the ipsw you downloaded and then use jailbreakme to jailbreak, if you want to jailbreak 3.0.1 then use this guide (read carefully since you are on 3.0.1) iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

thanks j3st3r3, i use redsnow and it worked.
    I have saved my SHSH with tiny umbrella for 4.0.1 also.
    I tried to shift+restore to 4.0.1 but I got error 3194 (This device isn't eligible for the requested build). I thought Apple still signing 4.0.1, what should I do to upgrade to 4.0.1 ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apple a no longer signing 401. However, if you have SHSH saved for 4.0.1 follow the guide in the downgrade forum to downgrade (or upgrade in your case) to 4.0.1.

Also, if your on 3.0.1 you 3GS will have an old bootrom, not that you have JB with redsn0w you could upgrade to a custom fw using pwnage tool to 4.0.1. which would give you more options for future JB's.

Both options need SHSH.

Thanks

custom firmwares do not need shsh's, they bypass the apple signing process