Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading jailbroken 3.1.2 3G iPhone

Default Upgrading jailbroken 3.1.2 3G iPhone
    I'm currently on a 3G, jailbroken (blackra1n) 3.1.2 iPhone. Just as I was ready to upgrade to 4.0.1 (to jailbreak w/jailbreakme), they released 4.0.2.

I was reading thru the downgrading steps and somewhere it was mentioned that you can certainly upgrade using the same procedures. So I've been trying to upgrade to 4.0.1, but it is not working.

I've gone thru the usual steps, dfu the iPhone, shift click in iTunes to select the d/l 4.0.1 version, use RecBoot to get out of recovery mode. The iPhone restarts, but I'm still on my jailbroken 3.1.2.

They only thing that I notice is that it was stated it takes about 10 minutes for the restore, but mine took under a minute, if that.

Not sure what the problem is... is it because I'm already jailbroken?

I was tempted to restore back to factory settings (which I had in the past), but that will put version 4.0.2 on.

Any help would be apprecieated!

Edit: I did the above a few days ago when Apple was still signing 4.0.1, but I just saw someone posted this morning that they stopped signing 4.0.1. I might be SOL for now...
    Last edited by aschmeer; 2010-08-18 at 03:03 PM.

Did you edit your hosts file to run through Saurik's server instead of Apple's, and do you have shsh's saved for the 3.1.2? I would edit hosts file, and use redsnow 9.5b5-5 and do a 4.0, since the other 4.0.1, is a cosmetic signal change, and 4.0.2 is to patch the pdf exploit. Use firefox to download the 4.0 ipsw file from here under downloads, and you should be good to go.

No, I did not edit the hosts file... in any of the instructions, I've never seen this. Can someone point me to instructions?
    I've only saved my 3.1.2 SHSH under Cydia. I would like to upgrade to a version I haven't been on, so I'm not sure how a SHSH would help me here.
    Last edited by aschmeer; 2010-08-18 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks

are you sure you have a 3g? there are no shsh's for a 3g other than 4.0 and 4.0.x, if you have shsh's for 3.1.2 then you have a 3gs, apple is still signing 4.0.1 (just checked) so you will need to hold shift (pc) or option (mac) and click restore, point iTunes at your 4.0.1 ipsw and it will restore to that

Well... I thought it was a 3G... now I'm not sure.
    I got it about a year ago. I know I got it before the new version, which I thought was the 3GS, came out.

How can I tell which one I got?

I'm pretty sure I have the 3G, as the 3GS has video capability, correct? I can't do video...

The only shsh that I have is my 3.1.2 that I recently did on Cydia... this is the "Make my life easier" question, right?
    Last edited by aschmeer; 2010-08-18 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

connect your phone to tinyumbrella, it will tell you which you have and then i can try to help from there

Says:
    Device: iPhone3G 3.1.2 (7D11)

Thanks

if I were you I would not update to 4.0.x since most threads I have seen say it slows the 3G down so much that most go back to 3.1.x

*sigh* I've read that too...
    I think I might just do that...