Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring to 4.0.1

Default Restoring to 4.0.1
    I made a rather large boo boo this evening.. while editing my iPhone's MobileIcons framework to allow themeing of AppStore app icons, I accidentally deleted the entire /Applications folder.. a such, no stock apps will open any longer. Obviously, my only option is to restore. Not a big deal, except I'll need to re-jailbreak after. I'm currently of 4.0.1, and as 4.0.2 patches jailbreakme, I'll need to restore to 4.0.1. My SHSH for 4.0.1 is stored on Cydia's server, saved via the Umbrella app for Mac OS X. Because of that, I believe I have the ability to restore. However, I've never restored to the same firmware while using SHSH blobs before, so I have no idea of what to do. I believe it has something to do with pointing iTunes to Cydia servers instead of Apple ones. If somebody could point me in the right direction, i'd be quite grateful. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jhgi For This Useful Post:

Kalpeshdesai (2010-08-17)

Thanks

this guide is for a 3GS and 3.1.2 but it is the same steps for your phone and firmware

Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | OS X

Should have mentioned, I have a 4. Does that matter?

Thanks

Apple is still signing 4.0.1 as far as I know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can this be done in Windows? I am not familiar with mac enough to find similarities between the two.

My info is also on cydias server for 4.0.1 but i'm running Windows. Damn these macs

Thanks

@ForbiddenSword and @xgreedyx

here you go

Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jhgi View Post
    Should have mentioned, I have a 4. Does that matter?
    no it doesn't matter, the steps are the same, but as jkmonkey said, apple is still signing 4.0.1 (as far as I know) so there is no need to edit the host file or use the shsh's, just hold option (Mac) or shift (pc) while you click restore and point iTunes at the 4.0.1 ipsw and it should restore
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-08-17 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

ForbiddenSword (2010-08-17), xgreedyx (2010-08-17)

I tried to dl off site but it's a mac file i think. Nothen was ipsw it was dmg. There are a lot of files and I cant seem to even find it using google or torrents. I must have spent the last 4hours trying to get my phone back to the way it was.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

@xgreedyx

you'd probably have more success trying to keep everything in one thread.

Anyways, an IPSW is a iPhone FW file, it doesn't matter if your using windows or mac, it's the same file, it's simply a case of HOW you restore it. If your getting any sort of dmg your downloading the wrong file.

Thanks

here is a link for official 3GS 4.0.1 ipsw, use either google chrome, firefox, or opera to download the file, if you used safari or Internet Explorer it will save the file as a .zip (I would imagine that is where your error is coming from because you are unzipping it and that is why you are seeing .dmg extentions), if you don't want to redownload it the change the extension from .zip to .ipsw and you should be good to go

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-08-17 at 09:54 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

xgreedyx (2010-08-17)

OMFG thanks so much...

I forgot all about changing .zip to .ipsw I am restoring phone to 4.0.1 now. I'm not sure if I had to change my host file but I already changed the host file to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and it's working yeaaaaaaa

I can finally give it a rest lol

Thanks

It far easier to install TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella.

1. Run TinyEmbrella.
    2. Click "Save my SHSH" button. TinyUmbrella will grab yours SHSH blobs for 4.0.1 from Cydia because they were already saved there and store them locally on your Windows or Mac computer.
    3. Click "Start TTS Server" button. This makes the necessary changes to your host file and will restore it back to its original state when you are done.
    4. Download firmware 4.0.1 for your 3GS here, if you haven't already.
    5. Now, restore your 4.0.1 firmware in iTunes by Shift+Restore (Windows) or Option+Restore (Mac) and select the 4.0.1 firmware that you downloaded earlier.

That's it. When it finishes restoring the firmware and reboots, open Safari and goto jailbreakme.com and jailbreak your 3GS again.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-08-17 at 10:17 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks

for now all host editing for 4.0.1 is moot because apple is
    still signing 4.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by xgreedyx View Post
    OMFG thanks so much...

I forgot all about changing .zip to .ipsw I am restoring phone to 4.0.1 now. I'm not sure if I had to change my host file but I already changed the host file to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and it's working yeaaaaaaa

I can finally give it a rest lol
    glad it's working for you
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-08-17 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well I'll keep that Firmware Umbrell in mind for future use. As of now I have stored my phone and jail broken it.

Can iTunes 9.2.1 be used for this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Can iTunes 9.2.1 be used for this?
    yes, as far as I know it can be used

Ok, I accidently upgraded to 4.0.2 in iTunes and it restored my phone to 4.0.2. I went to Jailbreakme again and it said I it would not work with this firmware to jailbreak. My iphone 4 has been jail broken for weeks. Is there anything I can do to jail break again and get all my apps back?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhrse99 View Post
    Ok, I accidently upgraded to 4.0.2 in iTunes and it restored my phone to 4.0.2. I went to Jailbreakme again and it said I it would not work with this firmware to jailbreak. My iphone 4 has been jail broken for weeks. Is there anything I can do to jail break again and get all my apps back?
    does Cydia have your SHSH blobs on file? If you were JB and you clicked "make my life easier" in Cydia then you should be able to downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    does Cydia have your SHSH blobs on file? If you were JB and you clicked "make my life easier" in Cydia then you should be able to downgrade.
    I can't acces Cydia anymore. My phone went into restore mode as iTunes was upgrading, so I had start from scratch with the iphone 4 again, but this time Jailbreakme won't allow me to download, since I have the newest firmware.

Thanks

Downgrade to 4.0.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast