Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to fix phone dialer?

Default How to fix phone dialer?
    I was experimenting with new phone dialer layouts and screwed it up. I backed up my mobilephone.app folder BEFORE I ever touched anything and now when I copy that folder back the phone dialer doesnt come up at all. Any ideas? It tries to open for a split second and crashes. I dont understand why since I did a back up before I did anything and in theory if I copy it back it should all work again!

Update: I have tried both WinSCP and iPhoneBrowser to delete the current MobilePhone.app folder and replace it with my back up and it just doesnt work. Anyone know of directions to restore your dialer back to normal on a 3Gs 4.0.1? I am trying to avoid having to do a full restore.

Many people read this post and nobody replied. I figured nobody knows so I bit the bullet and did the restore. On the up side I had already read and studied up on restoring back to 4.0.1 after I did my original JB so I was prepared and it was a snap. Just a pain in the ***** to set up all my junk again. I think the phone dialer app I added must not been able to work with my firmware, it was old and I should have known that, but I still dont understand WHY I couldnt just copy and paste the old mobilephone.app folder back and restore it?

Does anyone know what would prevent me from copying the original folder back in place and working? I tried many times and the phone dialer was just dead. Are there file permissions on some of the files that prevent them from being copied over properly?

Update: Now that my dialer is working I thought I would dig in again to see what may have gone wrong when trying to recopy the mobilephone.app folder back.

Interesting: I did a copy of the 'working' mobilephone.app folder to my PC using WinSCP. I then compared the copy with the original still on the phone and it shows the CodeResources file is a different size??? On the phone its 28 bytes, when I copy it, it comes across at 1222 bytes. It appears to be a simple XML file so I am confused. Why is the one file not copying over exactly the same and I suspect this may be why when I copied my 'original' back up of the mobilephone.app folder back onto my phone the dialer still didnt work. The copy wasnt exact and I didnt know it. Is this it? How can I make an exact copy of this file off the phone for back up? below is a copy and paste of the file contents if that matters at all.

CodeResources file -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>files</key>
    <dict>
    <key>version.plist</key>
    <data>
    It2WsOlXHfDF2cQiH4By2Q8jxYs=
    </data>
    </dict>
    <key>rules</key>
    <dict>
    <key>^Resources/</key>
    <true/>
    <key>^Resources/.*\.lproj/</key>
    <dict>
    <key>omit</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>10</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^Resources/.*\.lproj/locversion.plist$</key>
    <dict>
    <key>omit</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>30</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^Resources/.*\.nib/classes\.nib$</key>
    <dict>
    <key>optional</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>5</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^Resources/.*\.nib/data\.dependency$</key>
    <dict>
    <key>optional</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>5</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^Resources/.*\.nib/info\.nib$</key>
    <dict>
    <key>optional</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>5</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^Resources/English\.lproj/</key>
    <dict>
    <key>optional</key>
    <true/>
    <key>weight</key>
    <real>20</real>
    </dict>
    <key>^version.plist$</key>
    <true/>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Things that make you go hmmmmm... Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback from the experts?

Thanks
    Last edited by NOYB111; 2010-08-17 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost