Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: downgrade and jailbreak iphone 3g

Default downgrade and jailbreak iphone 3g
    Hey guys

I want to downgrade and jailbreak my iphone 3g

How to do it?
    Should I first downgrade normally and once I have my iphone running unjailbroken with 3.1.3 I jailbreak it?

-can I feed the backup from 4.0 to 3.1.3?
    -which jailbreak software should I use to jailbreak 3.1.3? redsnow or pwnage tool?
    -should I downgrade to 3.1.3 or to another os?
    I'm a mac user.

Thanks and cheers

so many view.. come on
    *bump*
    Last edited by iapfel; 2010-08-17 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

create a custom 3.1.3 with pwnagetool and restore to that, you will already be jailbroken so no worries there, I'm pretty sure you cannot use the backup of 4.0 since you can't use a backup of 3.1.3 for 4.0, but you wouldn't want to restore from a jailbroken backup anyway, always setup as new and then sync everything back

hey thanks for the tip.

i have already downloaded iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw from here: iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

then i installed it on my iphone 3g and used RECBOOT to make it work.

I now have a - by default unlocked - iphone 3g with OS 3.1.3 from the above link.

I then wanted to jailbreak this with Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 but the tool cannot find the Firmware and if i select it myself it says it cannot be recognized.

i noticed that the 3.1.3 firmware from the screenshots for pwnage tool had a different name than the one i downloaded and installed..?

my questions:

-should i even downgrade and jailbreak the os 3.1.3 or would 3.1.2 be a better choice?
    -why didn't it work with pwnage tool?
    -should i use redsn0w?

thanks a lot!

thanks for the answers and the link!!! i got it to work now.
    problem was i didn't know i had to select the iphone 3gs in pwnage tool even though i've got the 3g.

Quick question - My brother upgraded his 3G to 4.0 (8A293). He has never jailbroken or unlocked his phone. Is it still possible to downgrade his phone? Can I use one of the methods listed here?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Basically downgrade to stock 3.1.2 and use recboot to kick it out like the previous poster mentioned, that should do it.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Basically downgrade to stock 3.1.2 and use recboot to kick it out like the previous poster mentioned, that should do it.
    Cool, so it doesn't matter the previous JB/unlock status?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Doesn't matter, just restore, don't restore from a backup, and certainly don't update it
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

CTGooner (2010-08-24)