Results 1 to 19 of 19

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: "Attention" Dont Drink and Jailbreak!! iPhone 4 (4.0 fw) is frozen and won't boot

  1. #1
    Unhappy "Attention" Dont Drink and Jailbreak!! iPhone 4 (4.0 fw) is frozen and won't boot
    So yeah long story short I went out last night and got real tipsy and someone asked me if I jailbroke my Iphone 4 yet and thought it would be a great time to do it so we did it and everything looked fine until I hit the "I hate jailbreaking" button by mistake and then realized I needed to hit the make my life easier button instead.. Went home and panicked and first thing thing I did was hook it up to iTunes and restored the phone from a backup.. Thought that would uninstall everything I did so I can re-do the jailbreak process correctly(and sober) the next day.. and when the phone booted I still had cydia installed?? So then figured the only thing that I could do is what I did to my 3G and that was to go to settings and erase and reset the whole phone.. It worked for my 3G so thought it would do the same to my iPhone 4...

    But Negative!! Now it's frozen on the boot screen and won't load up.. Started doing some research on the threads and learned how to put it in dfu mode, but that means I can only restore the phone to the new 4.0.2 firmware which I don't want... I bought the phone with 4.0 fw and never upgraded since the updates didn't look like they did much...

    So my real question is what should I do/what can I do to go back to the same firmware or 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak correctly this time? I should still be on 4.0 since I didn't update and when I did the jailbreak I hit the "I hate jailbreaking" button by mistake so by that I'm guessing none of my Ecid info was saved correct?? And if I do have to restore to 4.0.2, how exactly do I downgrade now since all the tutorials say it will only work if you first save the blobs/ecid info saved from cydia which obviously I didn't?? Any help is greatly appreciated since I really need my phone to work by tomorrow since I use it a lot for work. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    I guess if you don't have your SHSHs for FW 4.0 or 4.0.1 saved with Cydia or in your computer you will not be able to restore your phone to other version than 4.0.2. Sorry. Hopefully DevTeam will come with a solution sooner than later.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripa View Post
    I guess if you don't have your SHSHs for FW 4.0 or 4.0.1 saved with Cydia or in your computer you will not be able to restore your phone to other version than 4.0.2. Sorry. Hopefully DevTeam will come with a solution sooner than later.
    So wait by in my computer do u mean iTunes or is it saved in some special folder in my computer??

  4. #4
    did cydia store your SHSHs on 4.0 / 4.0.1
    if you didnt get that far or have cydia sorry you will have to upgrade to 4.0.2 if apple stopped signing 4.0.1

    at least you will have a working iphone 4 then

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to dtox2008 For This Useful Post:

    Rony786 (2010-08-16)

  6. #5
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    as far as I know apple is still signing 4.0.1, download 4.0.1 and hold shift while clicking restore and point iTunes at the 4.0.1 firmware and restore to that

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

    colombiankingdr9 (2010-08-16)

  8. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    as far as I know apple is still signing 4.0.1, download 4.0.1 and hold shift while clicking restore and point iTunes at the 4.0.1 firmware and restore to that
    +1

    Just checked and it's still being signed as of this post.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  9. #7
    Do what j3s3t3r says to do. He is right on. If you cannot find the FW i think mymyi has it or google for it.

    What does it mean for Apple to sing 4.0.1?

    When I go to download 4.0.1 it does not give me that option so what does that mean?

  10. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by devilpupv View Post
    What does it mean for Apple to sing 4.0.1?

    When I go to download 4.0.1 it does not give me that option so what does that mean?
    When you try to restore to a specific version, you ask Apple if it's ok. They either say yes or no. They're still saying yes for firmware 4.0.1
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    When you try to restore to a specific version, you ask Apple if it's ok. They either say yes or no. They're still saying yes for firmware 4.0.1
    So what happens if they say no?

    How do you restore then?

  12. #10
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by devilpupv View Post
    So what happens if they say no?

    How do you restore then?
    that's where shsh blobs come into play, cydia stores them (they are basically the yes reply that apple sends iTunes) and you direct iTunes to talk to saurik's server where they are stored and it returns a yes reply to iTunes (it thinks it's talking to apple) and proceeds with the restore, that is why it is so important to save your shsh's because they are device specific and once apple stops signing a firmware then you will never be able to restore to it unless you have the blobs for that specific firmware

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    as far as I know apple is still signing 4.0.1, download 4.0.1 and hold shift while clicking restore and point iTunes at the 4.0.1 firmware and restore to that
    Thanks j3st3r3,(and for everyones input)

    I did exactly what you said and it worked. Restored and now on 4.0.1, I think it is but just want to make sure if it is safe for me to try the jailbreak again thru jailbreakme.com again?

    Also when I restored from a backup none of my apps or media synced, had to download most of them again. Is that common?? It also put two of my ipad apps on the phone which I have no use for on my iphone?

    Again thanks for the help guys...

  14. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Yes, you can jailbreak from where you are now.

    Generally when jailbreaking, it's a good idea to set up the phone as new and not restore from backup. Sometimes restoring from backup causes really odd problems.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by colombiankingdr9 View Post
    Thanks j3st3r3,(and for everyones input)

    I did exactly what you said and it worked. Restored and now on 4.0.1, I think it is but just want to make sure if it is safe for me to try the jailbreak again thru jailbreakme.com again?

    Also when I restored from a backup none of my apps or media synced, had to download most of them again. Is that common?? It also put two of my ipad apps on the phone which I have no use for on my iphone?

    Again thanks for the help guys...
    Yes this is normal, when yo restore, your settings are only put back ie app saves and any files that were on the phone. Apps have to be put back on by syncing and if you had cydia apps settins those were saved as well so when you put back on your cydia apps most your settings will be there still. Thats why a lot of people recommend a new phone setup instead of restore because of all the funny files it may put back on that you no longer use. But like many as well as me I like to keep my photos and stuff on my phone and many other settings so I did a restore from backup no issues but its up to you how you want to proceed.

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Yes, you can jailbreak from where you are now.

    Generally when jailbreaking, it's a good idea to set up the phone as new and not restore from backup. Sometimes restoring from backup causes really odd problems.
    So then your saying Im gonna have problems now if I try to jailbreak because I dont want to lose all my pics, videos, and contacts and thats why I did the restore from a backup and not as new??

    Quote Originally Posted by asnman View Post
    Yes this is normal, when yo restore, your settings are only put back ie app saves and any files that were on the phone. Apps have to be put back on by syncing and if you had cydia apps settins those were saved as well so when you put back on your cydia apps most your settings will be there still. Thats why a lot of people recommend a new phone setup instead of restore because of all the funny files it may put back on that you no longer use. But like many as well as me I like to keep my photos and stuff on my phone and many other settings so I did a restore from backup no issues but its up to you how you want to proceed.
    Well I never installed any apps thru cydia, I just swiped and cydia was installed on the phone. The only thing that I did thru cydia was press the I hate jailbreaking button by mistake and then thats where this whole mess happened. So since I didnt install any apps thru Cydia Im assuming I should be good and not run into problems??

  17. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by colombiankingdr9 View Post
    So then your saying Im gonna have problems now if I try to jailbreak because I dont want to lose all my pics, videos, and contacts and thats why I did the restore from a backup and not as new??
    No, not necessarily, but you can run into problems. The most common problem is battery drainage. But, if you don't have any problems, it's fine and there's no reason for you to undo it.

    Personally, I use MobileMe for contacts, mail and calendar. For SMS and pictures, I manually copy them to the phone.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    No, not necessarily, but you can run into problems. The most common problem is battery drainage. But, if you don't have any problems, it's fine and there's no reason for you to undo it.

    Personally, I use MobileMe for contacts, mail and calendar. For SMS and pictures, I manually copy them to the phone.
    Battery drainage? That sucks cause I use the phone a lot. Have you had that problem with your Iphone 4?

    I got Mobile Me but Im new to it and still dont know how to do that but a friend got it also and now I really dont see the use of it other than find my iphone which either way can be turned off if someone steals your phone?

  19. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by colombiankingdr9 View Post
    Battery drainage? That sucks cause I use the phone a lot. Have you had that problem with your Iphone 4?

    I got Mobile Me but Im new to it and still dont know how to do that but a friend got it also and now I really dont see the use of it other than find my iphone which either way can be turned off if someone steals your phone?
    No, I haven't had the problem myself, but then again, I've never jailbroken and then restored from a backup. The battery thing is just what I read from a lot of people coming for advice on these boards.

    I like MobileMe because of the contacts, mail and the online storage. If you aren't interested in any of those things, it's not really that great, especially considering that it's quite pricey.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  20. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    No, I haven't had the problem myself, but then again, I've never jailbroken and then restored from a backup. The battery thing is just what I read from a lot of people coming for advice on these boards.

    I like MobileMe because of the contacts, mail and the online storage. If you aren't interested in any of those things, it's not really that great, especially considering that it's quite pricey.
    So I jailbroke again and everything worked fine but my contacts are all messed up now?? I have like 2-4 duplicates of contacts and somehow contacts and contact info have gotten mixed up so I learned the hard way and thought I was texting a friend yesterday and I was actually texting my ex-girl. So know I dont know which contact goes with which number since it seemed like they crossed synced? Could it be Mobileme or is it the jailbreak that did something because the contacts on mobileme are not doubled or tripled like on my iphone? By the way the only apps I installed from the jailbreak are cydia, rock, mywi, my3g, tlert, and anyring??

  21. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by colombiankingdr9 View Post
    So I jailbroke again and everything worked fine but my contacts are all messed up now?? I have like 2-4 duplicates of contacts and somehow contacts and contact info have gotten mixed up so I learned the hard way and thought I was texting a friend yesterday and I was actually texting my ex-girl. So know I dont know which contact goes with which number since it seemed like they crossed synced? Could it be Mobileme or is it the jailbreak that did something because the contacts on mobileme are not doubled or tripled like on my iphone? By the way the only apps I installed from the jailbreak are cydia, rock, mywi, my3g, tlert, and anyring??
    Personally, I'd restore again and redo the jailbreak, this time setting it up as new phone.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •