Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading Never Jailbroken Iphone to 4.0.1

Default Upgrading Never Jailbroken Iphone to 4.0.1
    Hi guys,

I have a Iphone 3GS running on 3.1.3 that has never been jailbroken before, so no SHSH saved. I want to update it to 4.0.1 without going to 4.0.2.. I know this has been brought up several times on these forums, but I cannot seem to find a conclusive answer. I have the 4.0.1 ipsw, but I know that if I were to try and restore holding alt/option and hitting restore, it'll verify with apple and get me to the 4.0.2, thus preventing me to jailbreak.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great. (Please give instructions in the simplest terms as possible, I'm not very good with complex iphone lingo) Thanks a lot

If you want to jailbreak DO NOT update. You cannot update to 4.0.1 without your SHSH. Sorry your most likely going to have to hold out until 4.1. Use spirit to jailbreak 3.1.3. -----> http://spiritjb.com/

P.S. download fimware umbrealla to save your SHSH's in the future. -----> The Firmware Umbrella
    Last edited by PWNsyst3m; 2010-08-14 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Darn, I see. thanks for the info, I think i'll do that.

ok, and one more thing. I have an Iphone 4 running 4.0.1 that is jailbroken. I hit "make my life easier" on cydia when I first did it. I don't currently need to restore, but if I did, I would use that umbrella application that you linked me too correct?

I downloaded it and saved my shsh on that just incase. How exactly would it work? I read the readme and it said something about kicking the phone into knockout or recovery mode...or something like that. In order to do a restore, I would just open umbrella and itunes. hit "start TSS" on itunes, and then hold "alt/option" and select my 4.0.1 firmware again? Is that all? This will make itunes think that apple is signing it? Thanks again
    Last edited by di_nate; 2010-08-14 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

that's it, assuming you were able to get your 4.0.1 shsh's

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

4.0.1 is still being signed so just download the 4.0.1 firmware and shift-restore in iTunes.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.