Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Latest Jailbreaking method?

Default Latest Jailbreaking method?
    Hi everyone, Im afraid I havent logged on in a little while. Im still on 3.1.3and was thinking of updating to 4.01 and then BANG!!!! 4.02 is out. I was only thinking about updating to 4.01 because theres now a jailbreak for it. What about 4.02? How far away is a jailbreak for it?? Why have apple brought out 4.02 so soon after releasing 4.01? Im just curious more than anything. Thannks guys

Thanks

i fear you would have to wait for 4.1...as 4.02 is just a dumb update..(security update) but yea

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I suppose you dont have your SHSHs saved huh?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread since I'm in the same boat, and it looks like this thread's been neglected. I'm also looking to upgrade my 3G from 3.1.2, to I guess.. 4.0.1 (or ..2, whatever). From what I've been able to glean through reading other threads, I have to back the phone up, restore through iTunes, then use the latest greatest method to jailbreak. I've heard people talking about jailbreakME as a way to do this (this sounds a bit different than using blackrain).

Questions I have:

What's the optimal way to back up my cydia and appstore apps.

I jailbroke my phone to use T-Mobile, if I upgrade, will I have to reactivate my phone through them or... what do I do exactly?

Sorry in advance for asking anything obvious or stupid. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well, first thing's first. Save your SHSHs (even tho you wont need them right now) if you havent already. Get what you can.

Secondly, i really recommend staying on 3.1.2 with a 3G. iOS 4 doesnt run very well (if at all really...) on a 3G phone.

Lastly, If you want to proceed with upgrading you have a few options.

If SHSHs for 4.0 are available, you may shift+restore to it then jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 or jailbreakme. Jailbreakme requires an official SIM to activate, Redsn0w does not (it hacktivates).

You can go up to 4.0.2 by upgrading. Redsn0w will jailbreak this. Ive heard that being on 4.0.2 doesnt change the baseband and so is still unlockable, however I have also seen a lot of 3G users who went up to 4.0.2, used Redsn0w, and couldnt unlock anymore. Not sure why, but they cant get ultrasn0w to work. I wouldnt recommend going up to 4.0.2 if an unlock is very necessary.

You can shift+restore to 4.0.1 still without SHSHs (to my furthest knowledge at least) cuz Apple is still signing it. Afterwards, use Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 or jailbreakme.

I know i did that kind of out of order lol, 4.0.1 shouldve gone first before 4.0.2, but I just now rememered.

Backing up apps just sync to iTunes. Be prepared to lose jailbreak apps tho cuz you should really set your phone up as new (not restore from back up) cuz this could cause problems to occur/carry over.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-19 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

adrift98 (2010-08-19)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Well, first thing's first. Save your SHSHs (even tho you wont need them right now) if you havent already. Get what you can.

Secondly, i really recommend staying on 3.1.2 with a 3G. iOS 4 doesnt run very well (if at all really...) on a 3G phone.

Lastly, If you want to proceed with upgrading you have a few options.

If SHSHs for 4.0 are available, you may shift+restore to it then jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 or jailbreakme. Jailbreakme requires an official SIM to activate, Redsn0w does not (it hacktivates).

You can go up to 4.0.2 by upgrading. Redsn0w will jailbreak this. Ive heard that being on 4.0.2 doesnt change the baseband and so is still unlockable, however I have also seen a lot of 3G users who went up to 4.0.2, used Redsn0w, and couldnt unlock anymore. Not sure why, but they cant get ultrasn0w to work. I wouldnt recommend going up to 4.0.2 if an unlock is very necessary.

You can shift+restore to 4.0.1 still without SHSHs (to my furthest knowledge at least) cuz Apple is still signing it. Afterwards, use Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 or jailbreakme.

I know i did that kind of out of order lol, 4.0.1 shouldve gone first before 4.0.2, but I just now rememered.

Backing up apps just sync to iTunes. Be prepared to lose jailbreak apps tho cuz you should really set your phone up as new (not restore from back up) cuz this could cause problems to occur/carry over.
    Sweet. Thanks so much for the advice. So now I gotta read up on how to save SHSH, because I don't think I've ever done this. If/when I do upgrade (using the original sim), how will this effect my T-Mobile plan (or will it)?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrift98 View Post
    Sweet. Thanks so much for the advice. So now I gotta read up on how to save SHSH, because I don't think I've ever done this. If/when I do upgrade (using the original sim), how will this effect my T-Mobile plan (or will it)?
    SHSHs can be saves by going to Cydia and selecting on home page "make my life easier". Just to be safe, download TinyUmbrella on your comp and use that to check/back up the SHSHs.

Oh yeah, your T-Mobile plan wont be affected. Just avoid telling T-Mo you are using an iPhone if you dont have the smartphone data plan.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-19 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost