Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Basic JB questions

Default Basic JB questions
    I just JB my phone today and have been playing around. I have all my apps and such back on and some pretty cool new JB apps. I have a couple newbie questions if you all dont mind..

1. If I do a back up of my iphone, will it back up as a jailbroke phone so I can restore the JB if I have a problem with all my JB apps included?

2. What are some of the best JB apps out there? I have a 3Gs at 4.0.1 so I am trying to make sure the apps are 4.0 compatible.

Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks

hey man what sources have you got that work?

1st off there is no backup that will preserve jailbreak that i know of ( I could be wrong)
    2nd, there is a list of compatible apps if you go to search and type ios 4 list
    3rd and most important, have you saved your shsh's? Did you tell Cydia to make your life easier?
    Have Fun & Good Luck

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

1) no. Jailbroken apps must be backed up by aptbackup or pkgbackup. These require restoring from back up, which is not recommended. Always set phone up as new. So use RockApp, it will save them and when you sign in to your account after restoring, it will restore the apps.

2) great basic JB apps are:

SBSettings
    Winterboard
    MyWi 4
    My3G
    aTube
    Cydelete
    Cyfix
    RockApp (dont update core files with this tho, use Cydia)
    UnlimTones
    Lockinfo
    Locktopus

Theres a lot more that I cant think of...Im on 3.1.x so some that I have dont work with iOS 4 but the ones I listed do. Just browse around and play with them all

1) Like the previous poster said you could use apps that use your backup file to restore your Cydia apps but Rock has a built in backup feature.

2) You can check out my website for all the best Cydia/Rock apps. Here is a direct link to my complete app list (so far)...

Thanks for all the feedback!