Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Successful Restore?

Default Successful Restore?
    So what happened was my 3G was on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n. After failing to successfully installed android on it it blacked out my screen and to get it back on I needed to restore. From what i read i thought if you had to restore you were forced to get the newest firmware, but just for the heck of it i downloaded 3.1.2 and did shift + restore to see if it would restore to that firmware. It worked perfectly. Should i be surprised this worked, or was i misunderstanding and you just can't go from a newer firmware to and older one?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Its supposed to work on a 3G. 3G phones can restore to 3.1.x from any firmware including 4.0/1 without SHSH blobs saved.

Quote Originally Posted by phatcamaro View Post
    So what happened was my 3G was on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n. After failing to successfully installed android on it it blacked out my screen and to get it back on I needed to restore. From what i read i thought if you had to restore you were forced to get the newest firmware, but just for the heck of it i downloaded 3.1.2 and did shift + restore to see if it would restore to that firmware. It worked perfectly. Should i be surprised this worked, or was i misunderstanding and you just can't go from a newer firmware to and older one?
    That is how it is suppossed to work. You should be good to go.

(hit the thanks button if this helps)
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...