Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading iphone 3GS

Default Upgrading iphone 3GS
    Hi.. i currently have iphone 3GS new bootrom ...

well it runs 3.1.3...

id love to upgrade to the iOS4.0.1 but im afraid all the compatibility and other apps issues...

so should i wait or just update it ASAP....

well... just incase tell me what i should do before doing any upgrades...

and im also wondering will all my messages and pictures and songs be the same as they are should be after upgrading? as well as my custom ring/sms tones?

please answer all my questions as i need to know bfore doing major upgrades.. thanks!!

I'm not sure that you can update to 4.0.1 now that 4.0.2 (unjailbreakable) is out.

Many apps have been updated but not all.

How are you getting the ringtones? What do you mean about your messages?

well.. isn't by downloading the firmware of 4.0.1 for 3GS directly from the net and restore it to the downloaded ipsw can upgrade the FW to 4.0.1??

well yea the reason i dont want to upgrade to 4.0.2 is due to the "unjailbreakable"..

n yea.. the ringtones are custom ringtone i made myself using softwares.. and the messages i mean is all my text messages.. are there gonna be gone once updated??

Thnks!

Quote Originally Posted by d_animality View Post
    well.. isn't by downloading the firmware of 4.0.1 for 3GS directly from the net and restore it to the downloaded ipsw can upgrade the FW to 4.0.1??

well yea the reason i dont want to upgrade to 4.0.2 is due to the "unjailbreakable"..

n yea.. the ringtones are custom ringtone i made myself using softwares.. and the messages i mean is all my text messages.. are there gonna be gone once updated??

Thnks!
    You cant restore to 4.0.1 without the shsh for 4.0.1
    So if you have never been on 4.0.1 theres no way you could have saved your shsh.
    I guess you could always try. You might get lucky if you do it asap.
    Apple may still be signing 4.0.1.
    And for future reference -----> The Firmware Umbrella

oh okay... guess i have to wait til iOS4 get stable... due to currently apple keep updating them in less than a month.. what a troublesome... thanks for ur help ...

BTW i saved every SHSH blobs in Cydia server but i dont know hw to use it tho or it might help? i see if i open Cydia.. the green words on top of it says this device have 4.0 and 4.0.1 (something like that) ...

Thats great, your good then! Just download firmware umbrella, click start tss server on umbrella, and then just go to itunes and select your firmware with shift+restore.

Sounds easy but it would be helpful if u can provide stepbystep instructions..

And also wud i be benefited by upgrading to iOS4 now or just wait for another updates..

Cause i heard that some winterboard downloaded themes arent working well n etc

and finally..r u sure that i can restore to iOS4.0.1??now im saving my SHSH for 4.0.2 just in case

And also... Usually when i sync on itunes,they do backups.. So im wondering wat r they backup-ing?? Will my contacts backed-up? N also all info in contact n calendars? Cause it took so many hours to fnish it..tell me wat theyre not backuping

BumP!! I ned answer for my post and Will there be another update coming after this latest release of 4.0.2??
    Last edited by d_animality; 2010-08-14 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PWNsyst3m View Post
    You cant restore to 4.0.1 without the shsh for 4.0.1
    So if you have never been on 4.0.1 theres no way you could have saved your shsh.
    This is a common misperception. I thought this was true a couple of weeks ago as well.

TinyUmbrella will save the blobs for any version that's being signed, regardless of whether it is installed on your iDevice or not. TinyUmbrella makes whatever TSS request you specify in advanced options, and saves it locally. Specify for it to make the request to Cydia, and Cydia will make the request of the Apple TSS server and then pass it along to TinyUmbrella. That's my favorite option, as Cydia will now have your blobs, whether you jailbroke or not, and you'll have them locally too!

okay .. i guess it means that i can restore my current 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 since i have my SHSH blobs saved on Cydia... can u tell me how can i do this? but bfore that... should i upgrade or just wait for the upcoming iOS4.1 (which i think should solve most issues) ..

and yea.. will my contacts and text messages will be backed up in iTunes and will all be the same again after restore to the new FW except the applications? please guide me... Thanks!

Thanks

If you have TinyUmbrella, use it to fetch your blobs and save them locally. Then run the TSS server built into it. Then start iTunes, shift-click restore and select the firmware you'll use. One you're in a recovery loop, use the "kick device out of recovery" button. Then enjoy your device with the firmware you've installed.

This only applies if you actually have the blobs for the firmware you wish to install.

that sounds simple.. well i have my shsh blobs saved locally... what i dont understand is the recovery loop and also will the 3GS be better on iOS4.0.1?

Thanks

Ooops, I forgot, you were going up, not down. I don't think you'll get caught in a recovery loop going up.

As for the 3GS being better on 4.0.1, I can't say. I liked how mine was running on 4.0.1, but it's a subjective thing. Make sure your favorite apps run well on it before you upgrade, I would advise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

d_animality (2010-08-14)

Well Said... Thanks! yea.. i see some of my favorite apps not yet being updated to the latest... waiting for them to be updated and compatible with iOS4 then i will consider updating it.. Thanks!