Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Set as new iphone?

Default Set as new iphone?
    i have an iphone 4, jailbroken on 4.0.1. When I got the phone, I made the mistake of restoring from a backup of a previous iphone. Then I jailbroke after, but I am having a few problems. Is there a way I can get the regular setting of when you set up as new iphone without restoring? I have my shsh backed up, but I really only want to restore if I absolutely HAVE to.

Any suggestions?

Ok so I know you do not want to restore, believe me I didn't want to either but this is quite easy. You will have your phone for a while and I would want it working the best it can.

May take about 30 mins or so. I had to restore to get FaceTime back and this worked for me. This is how I did it.

1. Download "aptbackup" and "appbackup" from Cydia
    These will allow you to back up your cydia and appstore apps. You will not see the back ups only when you restore.
    2. Back your apps and apts up.
    3. Sync your phone this will also save all your picture contacts etc.
    4. Make sure you have the 4.0.1 IPSW if not Download it from the net.
    5. Click "Shift" PC or "Option" Mac when you are ready to restore
    6. Chose your IPSW ***DO NOT UPGRADE TO 4.0.2****
    7. Wait for it to do its magic and restore to the sync *Step 3*
    8. Go to Jailbreakme.com
    9. on Cydia get the two mentioned on step 1.
    10. Hit "restore" on both appbackup and aptabackup.

Wait a bit and you done all your cydia apps will be back!! Then just sync your iTunes up. Viola!

The only thing you will need to do is reorganize your folders and settings but besides that everything will be back to normal. I got my FaceTime back!!
    Last edited by devilpupv; 2010-08-12 at 09:29 PM.

THanks, but can I still restore to 4.0.1 without any trouble?

Ofcourse. I restored mine yesterday after the 4.0.2 release.
    Just make sure you have the ISPW. For Step 5/6 go On a mac you can find it on
    /users/"your name"/Library/iTunes/Iphone Update Software and the file name should be

"iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw"

Thank me if this works for you.