Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I just get something straight here?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Can I just get something straight here?
    So let's say my iPhone fell on the ground and the back light got broken so if I go to apple would they replace it free????????? But mine isn't even from Canada it's from Syria I just told a guy I'll buy it for 800$ (its bran new, he owns a shop) and he said Ok so I bought it.

So that was question one. But I got something else to ask, what if I showed them my phone with cydia on it and they saw it? If jailbreaking is legal now so why do I have to hide it?

P.s. I have no warranty on my iPhone only my ipad.
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

well since you have no warrenty, they couldn't stop your warrenty which they would usually do, so I assume they would repair it for a cost

It's legal, but still voids apples warranty.

I'm not sure if this means they won't fix it at all, or they'll charge you to fix it. They'll charge you anyway if you don't have a warranty though.

You could restore first just to be safe.

if your file is SHSHed then download the custom ipsw which it is saved to then shift restore and you can always downgrade so send them with it new.

as for warrenty if you dont have it then use someone else cheaper. like fixmyiphone and all im sure they are half the price

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If they wont replace it for free, the fix cost will be awful. I asked Apple how much it would cost to fix my vibrate/mute switch (switch broke off, not a big deal I can still use it, its just annoyingly strenuous) and they quoted me $199.

Im assuming a small repair like that is $199 then a repair for a backlight would be the same if not more. Sooo lame. Get someone else to fix it.

Thanks

Lol im not saying I broke my back light im asking how much would it cost if I were... Wow that is a lot, I'll just buy an iPhone 4 instead of repairing my old 3GS cuz come on 200$?? about a quarter of how much an iphone would cost.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

My point exactly. The repair cost is the value that I could sell my 3G for on Craigslist. Its the cost of the iP4 Im gonna get in two months when I switch to AT&T. Seriously... Its ridiculous.

But there are local iphone repair people that will do it for cheaper like $100 but even then...I would just sell the 3GS with a broken backlight for cheaper. You could probably get $200 out of it, cuz a functional one still goes for $270-$300 in my area.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-12 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    If they wont replace it for free, the fix cost will be awful. I asked Apple how much it would cost to fix my vibrate/mute switch (switch broke off, not a big deal I can still use it, its just annoyingly strenuous) and they quoted me $199.

Im assuming a small repair like that is $199 then a repair for a backlight would be the same if not more. Sooo lame. Get someone else to fix it.
    I think all they do for that $199 is take your broken iPhone, and hand you a refurb iPhone. That's certainly the price they charged when I took mine in for a broken screen and they handed me a refurb.

Thanks

Wtf does refurb mean?

New one?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Perhaps,but they told me straight out $199 to open the phone up and replace the part. My phone is functional 100%, they wont replace it just cuz the switch fell off. He said the repair cost is $199. Either way, Im not paying that when I can still make that much when I sell my phone.

Refurb=used/broken, fixed, and replaced housing

Not a new out of the box phone. Still 100% functional and looks new tho.

In computer technology, refurbished refers to "old" or used computer equipment that has been restored to like-new working condition and/or appearance or computer devices that have been sent back to the factory to fix a flaw. The term typically refers to the hardware components of a computer that have been either replaced with similar components or updated with newer technology than the device originally came with. Companies that lease computers will often refurbish the computers after they are turned in and resell the refurbished units, commonly referred to as refurbs, at prices lower than those of new computers.

-Took from webopedia

Thanks

And an Apple refurb REALLY looks good. Might as well be new.

Thanks

ohhhh ok, I hate refurb, they trick us, I pay for a bran new one or fix it, I dont like refurb.

Thanks

I swear, my refurb 3GS I received from an Apple Store was PERFECT. It looked pristine, and it's been a flawless performer in all ways.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Mine too, thought it was brand new myself, until I found out apple use refurbs for replacement