Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Lil Conundrum: Updating Pawned 3GS 3.1.2 to OS4... Should I JBM??

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhawki View Post
    Yea, everything worked out well! I did copy the sms.db just in case, but it ended up being a non-issue.

Only thing that I noticed was that itunes is now refusing to restore my "special" apps, which sucks. Also a few jailbroken apps from Rock and Cydia wont restore, but that's because I didn't research what wasn't compatible (MyWi & mxTub just to name a few).

But other than that, everything is working great! Thanks soooo much!
    So what were the exact steps you took to get this done? I am on a custom 3.1.2 on a 3GS and I've been looking to upgrade to 4.0/4.0.1 but I've been very hesitant. I've researched and looked up things but I'm still a little nervous about what I'm doing. I actually tried the custom firmware from crisptech but it would not restore. I just got a blackscreen on my phone and that was it. So I had to restore back to my custom 3.1.2. Any suggestions or help?

Thanks
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Becanes View Post
    So what were the exact steps you took to get this done? I am on a custom 3.1.2 on a 3GS and I've been looking to upgrade to 4.0/4.0.1 but I've been very hesitant. I've researched and looked up things but I'm still a little nervous about what I'm doing. I actually tried the custom firmware from crisptech but it would not restore. I just got a blackscreen on my phone and that was it. So I had to restore back to my custom 3.1.2. Any suggestions or help?

Thanks
    B
    Well, jkmonkey really helped me out a lot so I can pass it fwd! I'll send you a link to the custom 4.0.1 ipsw files made with the new Pwange Tool. As far as I know, it will work provided that you haven't used spirit to jailbreak or updated with stock.

Are you on windows? If so you simply connect your iphone and shift + restore in itunes. It was really simple for me.

I was worried because of some rumored issues (which I've listed in this thread) and so I copied some core files to be on the same side, but I never needed to use them. All worked well.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thunderhawki For This Useful Post:

Becanes (2010-08-14)

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhawki View Post
    Hello folks, just curious on your thoughts... I have a 16g 3GS that you wonderfully people helped me to hack, jailbreak, and then unlock using PwnageTool on version 3.1.2.

I now want to update to OS4 because so many apps now require it. Only issue is, I'm not sure what the best method for me is. I really like the outcome of Pwnage Tool (damn near perfect in my limited experience), buuuut I don't have a mac in this country--my mac is in the States. It would be really easy to simply update to OS4 using itunes, then use Jailbreakme.com to make the phone usable here in Africa, but is that stupid?? It just seems too easy, you know what I mean?

Now this may be a situation of my reading myself into a confused stupor, but I think that once you up to an official / non-custom ipsw then I can never go back right? Something about bootrom or baseband... I also read that jaibreakme uses an easily fixed flaw in safari/adobe in the iPhone, so apple can easily repair that later; whereas Pawnage exploits in a 'better' way that I'm not savvy enough to really understand... So is it crazy to now just use jailbreakme since I've preserved bootrom/baseband for all of these years via Pawnage?? And are there any negative effects to jailbreakme like there was with blackra1n? (I also have a 32g 3GS that I opted to use BlackRa1n on, but that I'm not too happy with because I have loads of drop call and wifi issues...)

If you all tell me to stick with Pwnage Tool, then I'll need to figure out how to work with a mac in an African developing country with no Apple Store and very few people who use apple computers... (I'm currently living abroad.)

Thanks in advance! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Use PWNAGE Tool 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Use PWNAGE Tool 4.0
    I did. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I just wanted to say I like the word "conundrum". Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

You want regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I just wanted to say I like the word "conundrum". Thanks.

Well, if you like, I can say that I had you in mind when I titled this thread.

In other news, I'm a rather active member of another large forum elsewhere. One of the things that I am known for is that I have ALWAYS used non-default font tags. I initially posted this issue to the Mac section of that forum (an area where I was admittedly little-known) and was basically told that I wouldn't get any help until I change my font tags back to the default. I say all this to say that I like your font tags.

Ok. As far as I know I haven't used spirit to JB and I have a custom rom on 3.1.2. When I try to restore with the custom 4.0.1 I'm getting an error in itunes that says the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error has occured (1). Any suggestions?

I found the problem. I had to upgrade my itunes to 9.2. I was still on 9.0.
    Last edited by Becanes; 2010-08-14 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi, so you guys did it? Lol. Cuz I'm still on 3.1.2 jailbroken and unlocked with blackrain, shsh files saved on cydia so I can restore to it when crashed. Actually today is the 3rd time my phone freezes on apple logo and won't boot and I have to restore and re-jailbreak. I'm really hesitant too to update to 4.0 after a lot of readings. For now I'm staying on 3.1.2 before I do something wrong and can't JB anymore, so if you guys could guide me . Also I never used spirit on it. I haven't really read on it yet.. I'm on windows 7.
    Tell me if you need more info.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Becanes View Post
    Ok. As far as I know I haven't used spirit to JB and I have a custom rom on 3.1.2. When I try to restore with the custom 4.0.1 I'm getting an error in itunes that says the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error has occured (1). Any suggestions?

I found the problem. I had to upgrade my itunes to 9.2. I was still on 9.0.
    ...happy that I could be of help, and that it all worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by GiSmrG View Post
    Hi, so you guys did it? Lol. Cuz I'm still on 3.1.2 jailbroken and unlocked with blackrain, shsh files saved on cydia so I can restore to it when crashed. Actually today is the 3rd time my phone freezes on apple logo and won't boot and I have to restore and re-jailbreak. I'm really hesitant too to update to 4.0 after a lot of readings. For now I'm staying on 3.1.2 before I do something wrong and can't JB anymore, so if you guys could guide me . Also I never used spirit on it. I haven't really read on it yet.. I'm on windows 7.
    Tell me if you need more info.
    Thanks.
    I've been using it heavily on my 16g 3GS without any issues. I plan to use it on my 32g 3GS Monday or Tuesday--that phone was originally jailbroken with Blackra1n.

If no one offers any blackra1n specific advice by then, I'll advise on if I encountered any issues updating.
    Last edited by thunderhawki; 2010-08-15 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12