Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Super iPhone FAIL

Default Super iPhone FAIL
    Hi, I have some serious problems with my iPhone 3GS. To make it easier to view what I've tried so far I'll number the steps I've taken to get me to this point.

1. I tried to restore and update to OS 4.0.1 which when it got to the step "Updating Firmware" gave me error 29.

2. I tried to restore and update again several times. Deleting the update files and re-downloading them, tring to restore in DMU mode, etc. But each time it would end with error 29 and would leave my iPhone stuck in Recovery mode, unable to do anything else.

3. I have tried several different programs to "force" the iphone out of recovery mode to no avail.

4. I used iRecovery to change the auto-boot value to true which enabled me to boot up my phone (updated to 4.0.1), however then it started restarting every 5 minutes... I tried to restore after I got it running in 4.0.1 but it ended in the same error 29 result and I had to repeat the whole process again.

5. Now I've tried to restore and fix with iRecovery again, however, all I get now is a recovery type graphic with "slide for emergency" at the bottom.

EDIT: 6. Okay, I managed to get it back to the fresh install of 4.0.1 but it's still restarting every 5 mins... I don't even have enough time to restore the backup.

I'm EXTREAMELY frustrated as I've been tring to fix this for multiple hours today and yesterday and I can't think of anything else to try. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Maybe there is a value that I could extend somewhere so that it resets at longer than 5 minute intervals? Then I could change it to something huge so it resets every day or maybe week, which wouldn't be so bad. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by dehness; 2010-08-10 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Try reinstalling iTunes, then restoring it, but don't back up from old phone, start a new backup. There might be an error in your backup?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to piston597 For This Useful Post:

dehness (2010-08-10)

Yeah I've already tried reinstalling itunes, I downloaded a fresh copy on my XP dual boot and tried there, without using the backup, same problem...

I have used a program called rslite to kick out of recovery loops. It came packaged with an earlier version of redsn0w. You need a Mac for it though. Rslite opens up through terminal and you have to type in a few commands.
    It also could be a hardware failure.
    Good luck man!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PWNsyst3m For This Useful Post:

dehness (2010-08-10)

Thanks but I've already tried a couple of programs to kick it out of recovery mode, it sorta works but as far as I get is the recovery + emergency calls screen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Take it back to apple, that rings as a hardware fault to me.