Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 3GS to 4.0 FW Stuck around 60%!!

Exclamation Upgrading 3GS to 4.0 FW Stuck around 60%!!
    I have a 3GS JB with Blackrain on 3.1.2 tethered JB.

I downloaded the new FW from apple for the new upgrade and commenced to upgrade it. It was stuck at 60% for about 3-4 hrs last night and would not move. I removed the cable to start the process over but then it said the iphone was in recovery mode and I must "recover" the phone. It is still doing the same thing and I cannot do anything. It is still trying to upgrade as of now.
    #1 - Can I take it to apple in the way it is and get a new 3gs without them knowing since it is stuck at thre restore point and they will have to restore it regardless?

#2 - Anyone have a fix for this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

You can try using redsnow it has an option to get u out of recovery mode,then restore it to ur firmware then rejailbreak,I've done it I hope it helps u out

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dude did you try to put it in DFU mode?

Hold the home button and sleep button for around 10 seconds then release the sleep button and you should see a connect to itunes picture so then upgrade to 4.0.1.

From what I've seen I dont think you can upgrade to 4.0 if thats what ur sayin try 4.0.1 cuz for me it says the device is not eligible when i try to restore.
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

The crazy thing is many people have actually had to wait for about 4 hours to update to iOS4, so it might not actually be a problem. Anyway, like robben10 said, put it into DFU mode (video tutorial) and upgrade to 4.0.1. Most people would agree that you should also set it up as a new device.

Thanks

What firmware r u running,what do u have saved on ur computer and what do u want it to be? I was on 3.1.2 my friend upgraded me 2 4.0 by mistake I restored it to 3.1.2 it took a couple times then I used redsnow to get me out of recovery mode jailbroke it with black rain,then did it over n broke it with spirit they all worked,do u have n e firmware saved to ur desktop?

I would reboot computer, try a different usb port, and let it restore through itunes even if it is up to 4.0.1, then use either Redsnow and Ultrasnow, or jailbreakme.com and ultrasnow.

Ok so I have all my IPSW's, have downloaded off different sites, have tried a different computer, tried a full factory restore to 4.0 and 4.0.1, tried redsn0w, I know how to put it in DFU mode and let the update run for 7+ hours!!

Believe me guys I have tried it.

I appreciate the help I do.

The one thing I got some hope with was redsnow. I was able to get to the end when it said it was successful and it said "downloading jailbreak data" but then right after it went back into DFU mode. I am about to take it to apple and hope for the best.

Any more info would be useful. I have tried reaching out to @comex and @musclenerd.

Thanks

So can you please tell me where you are stuck right now? DFU mode?

P.S. what version of itunes do you have? Get the latest one.

I have the the latest iTunes 9.2.1. I am stuck in the DFU mode. I went into "About this computer" "More info" and saw that the iphone is in the USB port and there is also no "bootrom" version there so I dont even know what version it is.

What I am afraid of is that I will take it to apple and they will take it out of DFU mode and see that it was JB. But I feel that at this point the phone is all F'd up (excuse my language) and they will get no where.

Thanks

Lol the only way to get out of dfu mode now is to restore I guess.

Yo try to put Update or restore again maybe it'll work

I have tried to restore, update I have done it all and nothing.

Thanks

That is the one thing apple has against us they know it's been toyed with n that voids the warranty,I know someone that works there and that's there only defense know that it's legal

If it's in dfu mode try blackrain run it as administrator try a few times I did that n it worked if blackrain doesn't work try spirit in dfu mode they both worked for me
    Last edited by HeavyD4; 2010-08-10 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok guys I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

Finally after multiple IPSW files downloaded and the third computer I finally got it fix in about 10 mins. WOW. What an exhausting day. Thank you all for your inputs. Time to cancel my genius bar appt.