Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking iphone 3GS with 4.0.1 FW

Default Jailbreaking iphone 3GS with 4.0.1 FW
    Ok here's my situation. I currently have my iphone JB using Spirit on 3.1.3 FW. My SHSH files have been uploaded to Cydia.

Can I upgrade to FW 4.0.1 and jailbreak/unlock my iphone??? I don't wanna FU this up and lose my JB by upgrading to the new FW and not be able to do it. Where do I start and how do i upgrade to 4.0.1 without itunes forcing a 4.0.2 FW (i'm assuming there's no JB for 4.0.2)

Here's the facts about my iPhone

- iPhone 3gs Black w/16gb
    - Firmware Version 3.1.3 (7E18)
    - JB with Spirit. Locked to Rogers Network Carrier
    - Modem Firmware 05.12.01
    - Bootrom iBoot-359.3 (older bootrom I believe)
    - Production Year 2009 Production Week 29
    - Operating System Windows 7 64bit Professional

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as you have your shsh saved, go right ahead! Download the 4.0 or 4.0.1 and hold shift while restoring to select the FW package to restore. I'm pretty sure that Apple will still let you use 4 and 4.0.1. Once you do that, go to jailbreakme.com on your device, slide to jailbreak, and you're done!
    If this was helpful, or even if it gave you a laugh, click the Thanks button!

can i upgrade to just 4.0.1 right from itunes?

Also what do I need to do with the SHSH files? The reason fo rmy concern is because of this post on dev team blog

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

•If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    •If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

Anybody here can offer advice on the best way to approach this?
    Last edited by DesiSuperman; 2010-08-09 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am not sure what my bootrom is but yesterday I had a used AT&T 3GS loaded up with 4.0 on it. I set up as new phone in itunes and upgraded to 4.0.1 also. I went to jailbreakme.com, followed instructions, loaded up cydia(did complete upgrade when asked), returned to cydia, then installed unltrasn0w. Now my 3GS is jb and unlocked with no issues at all

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesiSuperman View Post
    can i upgrade to just 4.0.1 right from itunes?

Also what do I need to do with the SHSH files? The reason fo rmy concern is because of this post on dev team blog

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

•If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    •If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

Anybody here can offer advice on the best way to approach this?
    Yeap just upgrade to 4.0.1 in iTunes go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak, it doesn't matter what bootrom you have or model or what program you used to jailbreak it before, it will jailbreak it and be un-tethered

Default Thanks!
    thanks guys, i upgraded to 4.0.1 and it went without a hitch

What i did was backup my phone (itunes). Then I did a a full restore and upgrade to 4.0.1 Once my phone was restored I went to jailbreakme.com and the rest is history

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Glad it's up & working. The only downside is your baseband was updated. Still unlockable with ultrasn0w, but fewer options now. Should not be a problem though. Keep your fingers crossed

I am in a similar situation. I have a JB and unlocked 3gs on 3.1.3 right now, the previous owner didn't save the shsh for 3.1.3.

I have saved the shsh for 4.0.1 using tiny umbrella. Is it worth upgrading to 4.0.1 and doing the new jailbreak or should I just stay on 3.1.3?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well there's nothing wrong with 4.0.1 but 3.1.3 is still the best for app support, but 4.0.1 is getting there

Quote Originally Posted by jacked93 View Post
    I am in a similar situation. I have a JB and unlocked 3gs on 3.1.3 right now, the previous owner didn't save the shsh for 3.1.3.

I have saved the shsh for 4.0.1 using tiny umbrella. Is it worth upgrading to 4.0.1 and doing the new jailbreak or should I just stay on 3.1.3?
    If your still using 3.1.3 you should be able to upload the SHSH files to Cydia. Have you checked to see if it's still possible?

I would highly recommend upgrading to 4.0.1 I like my iPhone 10x more. My fav new feature is the folders. Gluck and hope it goes well!