Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Couple of questions before i restore from backup for first time...

Default Couple of questions before i restore from backup for first time...
    Hi all,

Couldn't get an answer in my other long winded post so just a quick question before I restore.

So when I plug my iPhone in, iTunes tells me

"An iPhone has previously been synced with this computer.
    Setup as new or
    Restore from Backup"

This happened as a result of a WiFi Sync attempt gone wrong.

I am wondering if I restore from backup

1)a) Will I lose my jailbreak?
    b) If no, will I lose my Cydia apps?

2) Will I be forced to upgrade firmware when restoring from backup? I'm on 3.1.2

3)a) I have manually backuped up my address book and SMS (just incase). Are these the correct locations?
    iPhone folders\Sameer's iPhone\var\mobile\Library\SMS
    iPhone folders\Sameer's iPhone\var\mobile\Library\AddressBook
    b) Do I just have to copy and paste these folders into the same location (incase something goes wrong)?

4) How long does it generally take? I was using about 30GB out of my 32GB.

Thanks for any help.

Bump... would really like to do this asap

Anybody?

Seriously nobody can help? Have I posted this in the wrong section or something??
    Last edited by dh0licious; 2010-08-09 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am just trying to help, I have very limited knowledge but I will tryo to get you started until the experts chime in haha.

Setup as new or
    Restore from Backup"

Setup as new pretty much makes the phone like its from the factory and never been used, and also upgrades it to the latest firmware.
    Restore from backup I believe will have you choose one of your previous firmwares that have been on your phone already. (Also used for selecting and using your own custom firmware)

"I am wondering if I restore from backup

1)a) Will I lose my jailbreak?"
    I believe so

"b) If no, will I lose my Cydia apps?"
    Yes, from what I have read(depending on your firmware version, not sure which are acceptable for it)there are a few cydia app options which will backup your cydia apps. Is that correct guys?

"2) Will I be forced to upgrade firmware when restoring from backup? I'm on 3.1.2"
    From restore, NO

"3)a) I have manually backuped up my address book and SMS (just incase). Are these the correct locations?
    iPhone folders\Sameer's iPhone\var\mobile\Library\SMS
    iPhone folders\Sameer's iPhone\var\mobile\Library\AddressBook"
    Saving this one for the experienced guys lol. In my previous experiences, my contacts and notes and such were still on the phone.

" b) Do I just have to copy and paste these folders into the same location (incase something goes wrong)?"
    Once again, saving for the experienced guys

"4) How long does it generally take? I was using about 30GB out of my 32GB."
    Experienced guys

Appreciate the help there mate.

SO basically, I just Restore from Backup, re-jailbreak and then I'm good to start reinstalling my Cydia apps?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

if you do a restore and you are on 3.1.2, you will be forced to upgrade I believe. Can't speak from experience but I believe it will kick you up to 4.0.1. Someone please stop from giving out misinformation if I'm wrong but i believe that's the case.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dh0licious View Post
    Setup as new or
    Restore from Backup"

You need to setup as a new phone and sync with your computer if you want to be able to sync again

Quote Originally Posted by dh0licious;5386167=
    1)a) Will I lose my jailbreak?
    b) If no, will I lose my Cydia apps?

2) Will I be forced to upgrade firmware when restoring from backup? I'm on 3.1.2

3)a) I have manually backuped up my address book and SMS (just incase). Are these the correct locations?
    iPhone foldersSameer's iPhonevarmobileLibrarySMS
    iPhone foldersSameer's iPhonevarmobileLibraryAddressBook
    b) Do I just have to copy and paste these folders into the same location (incase something goes wrong)?

4) How long does it generally take? I was using about 30GB out of my 32GB.
    1a. No
    1b. Yes
    2. No
    3a. I'm not sure, on this one, I believe SMS is held in 2 locations. AddressBook should be called Addressbook.sqlike or something similar, that is all you need to save for it. SMS I cant say because when I do it I extract from a backup. I just 'know' where to go for the files I need so never really took notice of all the folders.
    3b. Yes
    4. On a 3GS normally 5 mins, maybe 10 max.