Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erasing Data From Jailbroken 3G on 3.1.2

Default Erasing Data From Jailbroken 3G on 3.1.2
    About to sell my jailbroken iphone 3G and I want to erase data. I've done some googling on this and even though there are quite a few other threads, there seems to be no definitve answer.

I certainly don't just want to 'erase all content and settings' from the phone itself as I've read of others having real problems with that.

FYI, I bought the phone already jailbroken so I don't know what jailbreak alternative was used and I don't have any of these SHSH file thingies saved.

I'm thinking I might have to manually remove data and then use ierase to 'zero' any free space afterwards.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You do not need any SHSH on file for the 3G unless you move up to 4.0. So basically you should download a stock 3.1.3 from MMIs Downloads section and press Shift/Restore, then select the 3.1.3 firmware you downloaded. Afterwards, set it up as a new phone and uncheck everything that iTunes wants to sync(contacts, email, notes, calendars, etc). Press apply and you have a working phone with nothing installed that pertains to your personal data.

You, sir, are a gentleman. Thank you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigstu22 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2010-08-07)