Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a reason to update Modem Firmware (baseband)?

Thanks
    Question Is there a reason to update Modem Firmware (baseband)?
    I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS with 04.26.08 baseband. I understand the concept of not immediately updating the baseband through Apples updates if I want to maintain my jailbreak/unlock.

I'm not entirely sure what the baseband affects, but the general point of updating firmware seems to be to fix bugs and improve the overall experience.

My question is now that newer basebands have been successfully jailbroken/unlocked, are there any pros or cons to updating my firmware to a newer, but still jailbreakable/unlockable version?

Quote Originally Posted by maboroshi View Post
    I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS with 04.26.08 baseband. I understand the concept of not immediately updating the baseband through Apples updates if I want to maintain my jailbreak/unlock.

I'm not entirely sure what the baseband affects, but the general point of updating firmware seems to be to fix bugs and improve the overall experience.

My question is now that newer basebands have been successfully jailbroken/unlocked, are there any pros or cons to updating my firmware to a newer, but still jailbreakable/unlockable version?
    I have the same question. I have a 3GS still on 04.26.08 but running iOS 4.01 thanks to pwnagetool-based custom firmware updates. I have all of my shsh blobs going back to 3.0. Is there still a reason to keep the modem firmware this old in order to go back to v3.x ? Any disadvantages to still running 04.26.08 ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There are zero reported reasons up upgrade the BB but many for keeping it @ 4.26.08. Among the more obvious, more unlocking options exist w/4.26.08 - therefore it has greater resale value.

My advice: Stay put until the Dev-Team recommends an update!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Santoku (2010-08-24)

Thanks
    This was something I've wondered about for a while now but could never find a straight answer.

Thanks Mes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    There are zero reported reasons up upgrade the BB but many for keeping it @ 4.26.08. Among the more obvious, more unlocking options exist w/4.26.08 - therefore it has greater resale value.

My advice: Stay put until the Dev-Team recommends an update!
    Thank-you for the analysis ! Cheers !