Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Sync has corrupted my iPhone :( - 3GS 3.1.2 JB with blackra1n

Default WiFi Sync has corrupted my iPhone :( - 3GS 3.1.2 JB with blackra1n
    Hi all,

WiFi Sync never really worked for me. I tried time and time again, iTunes or my iPhone would either hang or I would get some kind of error on iTunes stating that the iPhone could not be backed up because it disconnected and a plethora of other random messages.

I decided to try it one more time last night.

I left it alone for an hour to let it sync and do its thing. When I got back, ofcourse it had not worked. So, I plugged my iPhone into the USB to manually sync with iTunes.

This is where the problem begins. I get the iTunes screen of death: "An iPhone has previously been synced with this computer. Setup as New/Restore from Backup" (luckily I did a proper manual backup just a few hours earlier anyway so I had that listed as an option to restore from.

My question is how can I avoid restoring from backup and somehow override this situation and allow iTunes to recognize my iPhone once again? Has something on my phone or iTunes been corrupted?

I really do NOT want to lose my jailbreak. I had over 60 JB apps installed (and discovered PkgBackup just today after trying to figure out a solution ). I have alot of data and settings associated with my JB apps and could not dream of re-configuring everything all over again. I have had the JB for about 8 months and as you can all imagine have done alot to my phone with blackra1n.

Please help me with any solutions. I have rebooted my computer and iPhone plenty of times, removed WiFi Sync from my phone and computer etc to no avail.

Also, if all else fails and I DO have to restore from backup - I will be losing my jb won't I? And will I be forced to update to new firmware?

Thankyou all so much for your help. I wish I had invested in PkgBackup much earlier but this is my situation and now and I cannot undo it

Cheers and appreciate any help at all.
    Last edited by dh0licious; 2010-08-06 at 12:38 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Have you tried taking all your iTunes stuff off (music, videos etc.) and then do a fresh sync?

Beg your pardon? :s

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Never mind, just re-read it, have you got another pc to try and see if it will connect to that 1?

Yes I do, but if it does connect will it try to automatically sync to that iTunes or will I be prompted before anything happens?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It should say when it tries to sync that it is already synced to another library (aka iTunes) and it will give you 2 options, pick erase and sync (don't worry, no jailbroken apps will be deleted)

So I connect it to the other computer, select erase and sync (but what is it syncing to now), and this will not have to jailbreak?

And then I connect it to my original pc and restore from the backup there?

This scares me a little...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No don't restore from backup, because that could be the problem, and don't be scared, I've done it a few times with different iPhones and iPods

But if I connect it to the second pc and then do an erase and sync, what is it going to sync to?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It will sync to that computer, so what ever is on there will be synced across

1) Will restoring from backup remove my jailbreak?
    2) Will restoring from backup force me to update firmware?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No, unless you install new firmware though the restore button, but what I told you is just normal syncing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had problems with wi-fi sync recently. Installed it five days ago, when I came to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4.1 so I could JB with Limera1n(connected with USB cable, not wi-fi) the phone got stuck at 60% of the upgrade and would not go any further. I had to connect to a different PC to get my iPhone back up and running again. I have since removed wi-fi sync from my PC and iPhone.