Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ProSwitcher not working

Default ProSwitcher not working
    After I install ProSwitcher on my iphone 4 I get stuck in safe mode until I uninstall it. Any idea why thats happening? The description said it was compatible with iOS 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

where did you see that it's compatabile with 4.0. I see 2.0 and 3.0 in the compatability section of the app

Unfortunately, the last time I checked anyway, there were no app switchers compatible with iOS4. Which is the only significant reason I'm still on 3.1.2.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ocojaa View Post
    Unfortunately, the last time I checked anyway, there were no app switchers compatible with iOS4. Which is the only significant reason I'm still on 3.1.2.
    Ditto! 4.0 FTL

Thanks

Ftl?

Thanks

for the lose

Default ProSwitcher
    I remember reading that the developer of ProSwitcher had no plans to update it because he preferred the multitasker that is standard with iOS4. I think it was on his twitter.

Thanks

that sucks since some prefer the JB backgrounding method instead

As we all know, apple decided it would be cool to break support for pro switcher, multifl0w, etc and use their crappy multitasking instead. In this tutorial, I will explain how to use Apple's multitasking bar with Backgrounder. Note this disables Apple's 'multitasking' and replaces them with backgrounder multitasking.

This is great for older iDevices with 128MB RAM because they don't support Apple's multitasking anyway, but these steps can be performed on any iDevice.

Here are the steps:

1. Jailbreak your iDevice (duh )

2. Open Cydia and download Backgrounder

3. Open Backgrounder and go to Global. Make sure "Backgrounder" is checked as 'Backgrounding Method' and "Fall Back to Native" is TURNED OFF

4. SSH TO /System/Libary/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

5. Locate the N72AP.plist

6. Copy the .plist file to your computer. Open your .plist editor program and add the following (anywhere in the file):

<key>mulitasking</key>
    <true/>

7. Copy the newly edited .plist file back to the directory on your iDevice and REBOOT.

8. Open Cydia and download a package called Remove Recents.

9. Respring and you're done!!

STEPS 4-7 ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR iPod Touch 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4
    Last edited by mj0528; 2010-08-06 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mj0528 For This Useful Post:

drdrn (2010-08-07), Mepaphoros (2010-08-18)

Default thanks
    btw proswitcher is stated "in develop" in the comptability section ..
    still prefer kirikae but pro switcher will do the trick =)!

Thanks

After playing with the method I mentionded above, it's way better than proswitcher.

Thanks

mj0528, I would love it if I could get the stock multitasking dock to work with Backgrounder, but your method doesn't work for me. Even with "Remove Recents" installed and "Fall back to native" switched off, things still don't work the way I want. Granted I have a 3GS and didn't try the steps you said were unnecessary.
    Backgrounder doesn't work for me unless I install Sinful's "Disable iOS4 Multitasking". And that disable stock multitasking altogether. "Remove recents" inst quite enough for me I'm afraid. Maybe I'll downgrade.

Thanks

Stock mititasking isn't multitasking. It just pauses the app. Backgrounder is the only way to keep the app running in the "background"

I also found my battery life to be great with the above method. Just to prove mob sub or rock ext isn't draining. I had my phone at 97% and used it sparingly and still had 97% at the end of the day
    Last edited by mj0528; 2010-08-08 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Depending on whether the app has been updated for ios4, some elements of the app do continue to run "in the background".
    I've got multitasking disabled now and will probably just stick to Backgrounder and hope an ios4 compatible version of proswitcher comes out soon.
    Well If you don't use your phone (that is, if you don't have multitasking with all that damn usage) then of course your battery life will be great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Man all of ios 4 sucks balls for me, i really missed iBluenova the most D=

Lol btw i updated my iphone to 4.0 yesterday lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by embw View Post
    Depending on whether the app has been updated for ios4, some elements of the app do continue to run "in the background".
    I've got multitasking disabled now and will probably just stick to Backgrounder and hope an ios4 compatible version of proswitcher comes out soon.
    Well If you don't use your phone (that is, if you don't have multitasking with all that damn usage) then of course your battery life will be great.
    The reason I mentioned the battery is some felt that the recent JB for i4 is negatively affecting their battery. I for one don't want anything running in the background unless I say so!

Thanks

It's not the jailbreak that's affecting their battery, it's the ios. But you're right, if there's nothing running in the background unless you say so then there's nothing to eat at your battery. I for one have no idea what apple were thinking when they decided to create the most annoying and useless "multitasking" ever.
    Robben10, a lot of people seem to feel that way. I don't mind it now that I have multitasking disabled. I only installed iBlueNova a day or so before I updated and it wasn't working properly for me then, but if it had I would miss it too.

Just want to bump this thread and thank mj0528 for this great work-around for ios4 multitasking. This works even better than proswitcher!

Thank you!

Thanks

The above method doesn't work for me either I'm afraid..But I also didnt do the unnecessary parts..Maybe they are necessary..lol

I'd also love a 4.x update for ProSwitcher..