Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to SSH with iphone with cable conn

Default how to SSH with iphone with cable conn
    hey guys,

im trying to learn how to ssh into my iphone and running into some trouble. not sure what im doing wrong ans was wondering if i could get a hand.

i have winscp DL'd and ready to roll. i have openSSh installed and understand how to user and pass and ip addy etc.

the questions i have are:

do i need wifi running on my desktop as well?

or how can i connect with USB? (what program do i need)

if im on wifi with my iphone that is running from a wireless router do i use that addy?

how do i get my iphone on my computer? like i have seen in the many tut's ive watched? not sure what program to use.

the reason im taking the leap into learning SSH protocol is to remove the cydia 404 source errors.

windows xp
    ip 3gs 4.1
    JB -JBme 2.0

thanks in advance for any insight!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If your iPhone and desktop are on the same network (as in on the same router), it'll all be fine. Here's how I do it:
    1. Download filezilla (https://www.ohloh.net/p/filezilla/do...in32-setup.exe)
    2. Go to file - site manager
    3. Press New Site
    4. Host = your iphone's ip address, get it by going to settings>wifi>click the arrow on the network your on and enter in the IP address
    5. Select server type to SFTP
    6. Set logon type to normal
    7. username = root
    8. password = alpine
    9. Press connect and you're in

Also, your first time connecting, it'll ask you if you wanna save some keys or whatever, I forgot exactly what it says, just check "always remember" and press Yes/Okay.
    Last edited by neodude237; 2010-08-06 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

kgf88 (2010-08-06)

got it. thanks. i should have been more clear. my iphone is on wifi but my desktop is not. (cable)

Thanks

Are they all connecting on the same NETWORK though? A wireless and wired device can all be on the same network. If your desktop plugs into the router that broadcasts the wifi, they should be on the exact same network. To know for sure, check the Router Address the same way you check the IP Address on the iPhone (but it is simply labeled "Router"), and then in Windows double click the network icon in the bottom right hand part of the task bar and press details. It should be labeled "Gateway" (another word for router), if both these IP addresses are the same, you're good to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

kgf88 (2010-08-06)

different networks....

thats why im maybe hoping to use a USB for this project. not sure what program to use that would be good with winscp.

hey man i appreicate your time!

Thanks

Actually, it looks like this would work perfectly:
    iPhone SSH via USB using WinSCP | The Apple Daily
    Try this guide
    Sorry I didn't link this in the first places, looks leaps and bounds easier than my way. I've been ssh'ing since the 1.0 days and am used to it being wifi only

thanks.... i saw a little something on tunnel awhile back. looks like ill give it a go.

ill reply my results....

look like there is a fee.... well i guess ill just use my laptop on wifi which will be on the same network. maybe at some point ill grab tunnel. thanks again for all of your help.

i was wondering if you could help me with one more small issue. i just recently JB (took me long enough!) and im cautious about synching in itunes. i know im not to upgrade itunes version, but am i able to go into itunes normally like i always did prior to the break? i guess im just trying to avoid any issues.

thanks again...

update: tunnel suite is not compatible with itunes 9! not sure why it needs to be but that ends that.

iPhone Tunnel Suite 3.0
    Last edited by kgf88; 2010-08-06 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Don't worry about iTunes, you can still sync fine. Just be wary of updates (more importantly iPhone updates). Sorry I didn't know about that fee.
    edit: just try with that laptop. avoids the tunnel stuff all together. You just need filezilla on windows and openssh installed on the iPhone.
    Last edited by neodude237; 2010-08-06 at 06:46 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

kgf88 (2010-08-06)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Or just download iFunbox and you can SSH into your device though cable connection, also get afc2add from cydia