Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Crashes upon attempting install of app on jailbroken iPhone 4 (OS 4.0.1)

Default App Store Crashes upon attempting install of app on jailbroken iPhone 4 (OS 4.0.1)
    Any idea why when I try to install an app from the App Store on my jailbroken iPhone 4 (iOS 4.0.1) it immediately crashes the app store and refuses to even begin the installation of the app???

I can browse the app store on my phone, I can view screenshots of apps and read reviews, and I can even click the Buy/Install button, but as soon as I enter the last character of my iTunes Store password and press 'Enter' it automatically crashes and promptly brings me back to my homescreen without installing the app???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I had the a problem and the description seems to be identical and I was searching for an answer I came across this post.

I ended up going into Cydia and checking for updates, it ended up updating UIKit Tools (IIRC) and I'm able to install from the App Store again. On a side note it forgot all of my "hide icon" setting, and I had to fix that by going through and setting all of them to show, quit and then hide them again. Mildly annoying but whatever.

Kibus999 was right for me. I had the same problem starting yesterday after I installed Categories from Cydia. I updated Cydia and all my icons got laid back out over the home screens (rather than them all being organized in the folders) but i WAS able to download from the Apple AppStore again.

The problem is that once I restarted Springboard, which puts all the icons back in the order in which I arranged using Categories, now I can't download from the AppStore again.

Is there a way to turn Categories off anytime I want to download from the AppStore or do I just need to get rid of Categories and see if that works?

Edit: Not sure if this helps but just in case, I'm using an iPhone 3GS 4.0.1...uh, obviously jailbroken THANKS!
    Last edited by ceejaydub; 2010-08-07 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Explain phone model

I had the same problem on mine. Had the app store hidden. Unhiding the app store for me and placing it back on the home screen appears to have fixed the problem. I believe until some things are updated the app store has to be all by itself on the home screen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to parrotpirate For This Useful Post:

1Bad06Roush (2010-08-15)

Quote Originally Posted by parrotpirate View Post
    I had the same problem on mine. Had the app store hidden. Unhiding the app store for me and placing it back on the home screen appears to have fixed the problem. I believe until some things are updated the app store has to be all by itself on the home screen.
    You the man. Your solution worked!

It's not just that the App Store is having a problem being in a Categories folder.

I was having the exact same problem and a search brought me here. I had the App Store in a Categories folder and tried the solution offered here. It didn't work for me but I found what did and it points to a possible reason for the problem.

I only jailbroke for my first time last week and don't know much at all yet. I may not describe this correctly.

As I understand it, when you use Categories to create a folder and place an app in it, the app's name is taken out of the Springboard folder and placed into this new folder. Apparently, if the solution above has worked for you, moving the App Store back onto the Springboard "list" fixes the problem.

But it didn't for me. The App Store kept crashing.

In Winterboard, I had turned on "No docked icon labels" and "No undocked icon lables". Having the App Store undocked and turning the undocked labels back on, is what fixed it for me.

Before coming here, I saw a post in a Mac forum about the same problem. For a few users it was because they had hidden the App Store icon and unhiding it fixed the problem.

So, it's not just Categories. It's the way the App Store name has to be filed and displayed. Many people will have the same problem for different reasons until there's a workaround and many apps get updated. Or there may be no way to fix it and we'll just have to avoid the problem.
    Last edited by AngriBuddhist; 2010-08-13 at 11:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AngriBuddhist For This Useful Post:

1Bad06Roush (2010-08-15)

What a bummer.. I was scratching my head trying to figure this out. This certainly did fix the problem, but it required a reboot for it to take effect. hopefully a new version comes out that fixes this. my 3gs on 3.1.2 still works the best

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is there a fix for this yet? I can't install any apps from the appstore and this is more than frustrating. I tried the trick outlined above and it took 3 days before I got a libhide update. The trick finally worked after a full reboot.

I just jailbroke 4.21 using Greenpoison RC5. Now my App Store keeps crashing. Tried several of above fixes no luck. HELP!!!

I had the same problem on 4.2.6. I tried unhiding the icon, which was done through SBSettings, no luck. Turned out it was a Winterboard setting I had installed to remove Springboard icon shadows, the iBlanks No Icon Shadow theme. The default Winterboard theme for no shadows seems to work fine though.