Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH Help

Default SSH Help
    It will not let me login in, it says "connection timed out" I have tried everything...

So I'm the only person in the world having this problem
    Last edited by TheGuiltyPleasure; 2010-08-05 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Your settings all correct and you entered the right password? Is OpenSSH on your phone turned on and are you connected to the internet on your computer?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

TheGuiltyPleasure (2010-08-05)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Your settings all correct and you entered the right password? Is OpenSSH on your phone turned on and are you connected to the internet on your computer?
    Yes to everything but I'm not sure about settings. Which settings do you mean?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Go to Cydia, Download ToggleSSH and OpenSSH. Once you have done this, connect to your phone to your WiFi network and then connect your iPhone to your computer. Next, tap the ToggleSSH app on your springboard and hit enable. Then, open up your SSH program (WinSPC/CyberDuck), Make sure your using SSH protocol and using Port 22, then put in your IP address 198.xxx.x.x for the Server. Enter "root" for the user and "alpine" for the password (assuming you havent changed your password to something other than alpine) and then hit connect.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

Make sure you change your root and mobile passwords from the default. Very important.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

to do this you type "passwd root" in the root shell

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbourn View Post
    Go to Cydia, Download ToggleSSH and OpenSSH. Once you have done this, connect to your phone to your WiFi network and then connect your iPhone to your computer. Next, tap the ToggleSSH app on your springboard and hit enable. Then, open up your SSH program (WinSPC/CyberDuck), Make sure your using SSH protocol and using Port 22, then put in your IP address 198.xxx.x.x for the Server. Enter "root" for the user and "alpine" for the password (assuming you havent changed your password to something other than alpine) and then hit connect.
    First off, thank you for your help. I just tried and it didn't work...

When you say connect to my computer, just iTunes? When I hit enable for ToggleSSH it still sits in the screen enable or disable, is this suppose to happen? And for the protocol, SFTP or SCP?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cross View Post
    Make sure you change your root and mobile passwords from the default. Very important.
    I have tried getting the Cydia M something Terminal app to try it that way and the app will not open up on the springboard.

Quote Originally Posted by anolis View Post
    to do this you type "passwd root" in the root shell
    What do you mean by root shell? username?
    Last edited by TheGuiltyPleasure; 2010-08-05 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuiltyPleasure View Post
    First off, thank you for your help. I just tried and it didn't work...

When you say connect to my computer, just iTunes? When I hit enable for ToggleSSH it still sits in the screen enable or disable, is this suppose to happen? And for the protocol, SFTP or SCP?
    Yes, when you hit Enable in ToggleSSH it will seem as thou nothing happened but it enabled SSH so once you hit Enable you can exit out of the app. And for protocol I was referring to SFTP, that is the one you need to make sure you use. As far as connect to your computer, I meant connect your iPhone to your computer via the data cable it came with, connect your iPhone to your WiFi network and then open your SSH program (if your using a Mac, use CyberDuck and if your using PC use WinSPC). Also, make sure your putting in your WiFi IP address in for the server.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbourn View Post
    Yes, when you hit Enable in ToggleSSH it will seem as thou nothing happened but it enabled SSH so once you hit Enable you can exit out of the app. And for protocol I was referring to SFTP, that is the one you need to make sure you use. As far as connect to your computer, I meant connect your iPhone to your computer via the data cable it came with, connect your iPhone to your WiFi network and then open your SSH program (if your using a Mac, use CyberDuck and if your using PC use WinSPC). Also, make sure your putting in your WiFi IP address in for the server.
    Thank you, I just tried it again and no luck. I have seriously tried everything it has to be something small. 3G is okay to be on right? Bluetooth off? Norton Commander or Explorer like? I clicked advanced options - connection - tunnel... and connect thru SSH tunnel was off, should it be on?

What platform are you using? Mac/windows/linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cross View Post
    What platform are you using? Mac/windows/linux?
    Windows

so how do you change the username and password

Thanks

Also if your using winscp in the drop down box where it says sftp switch that to scp.

How to change the root and mobile password:
    How To: Change Your iPhone’s Default SSH Password | Cult of Mac

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Alright thx for the link. And after I'm done changing the password can I delete MobileTerminal.

Thanks

If you want to you can. Or you can leave it there, just stick it in a folder for future use.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

ChrisAMW (2010-08-05)

Alright cool, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Also if your using winscp in the drop down box where it says sftp switch that to scp.

How to change the root and mobile password:
    How To: Change Your iPhone’s Default SSH Password | Cult of Mac
    Yep, I have tried that as well. The one tutorial I was following told me to do it that way but all the youtube video say leave it on sftp. But yes, I have tried both and had no luck

I have also tried using mobileterminal to change my password and it will not open on my springboard.

Thanks

Since you haven't been able to change the password yet, you are using alpine as the password when you try to ssh in right? Yeah the mobileterminal found in cydia doesn't work with ios4 yet. But there is an unofficial beta that does work 4.2.6. You can install it manually, of course you'd have to ba able to ssh to do that... Or you can get it through cydia if you add a certain X type repo.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Since you haven't been able to change the password yet, you are using alpine as the password when you try to ssh in right? Yeah the mobileterminal found in cydia doesn't work with ios4 yet. But there is an unofficial beta that does work 4.2.6. You can install it manually, of course you'd have to ba able to ssh to do that... Or you can get it through cydia if you add a certain X type repo.
    Correct, I am in Terminal trying to change the password, I hit su and then type in alpine for password and then instead of new password this comes up - "iphone:/var/mobile root#"

Thanks

Oh well your almost there...at that point type in "passwd" it will then prompt you for a new password.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast