Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory or software Unlock iPhone 3gs 4.0.1

Default Factory or software Unlock iPhone 3gs 4.0.1
    A friend of mine purchased an iPhone 3gs off ebay that was brand new with 3.1.3 for use with his T-Mobile plan. It stated it was unlocked and when i saw it it was jailbroken so I had assumed it was unlocked through software. He wanted to update to iOS4 so I had assumed we would update to the new software and i would need to run jailbreakme and then ultrasnow.

Since he had not downloaded anything from cydia and just got the phone I did an upgrade to 4.0.1 as opposed to a restore. We left the sim card in during the update. To my surprise when the update was done the T-mobile sim card was still valid and i did not need to jailbreak the phone to run ultrasnow. I checked the model number and it appears to be a USA iphone.

So my question is how is it possible that this phone kept the unlock after i updated the OS? Does this mean it is factory unlocked?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Interesting, it IS factory unlocked if you can restore and update to the latest firmware and get by activation with an unofficial carrier sim, and then proceed to use it without ever jailbreaking. So, you may very well have a factory unlocked phone.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks