Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What's so bad about "Rock"?

Default What's so bad about "Rock"?
    I see many people talking about the tools MyWi 4.0 and My3G, but most of the talk is how to get them withOUT Rock?

Before I get both of these tools, I wanted to check here to see what all the hate for Rock was about?

Is there a reason not to just install them normally WITH the required Rock?

Thanks.

Thanks

Bad experiences with rock in the past

It's more a personal thing, some user like it some don't , I personally want to avoid it but for now since I purchased mywi and my3G I haz to wait
    Last edited by z3r01; 2010-08-04 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Fish_1 (2010-08-04)

Thanks

There are several threads about the likes and dislikes of ROCK. It basically boils down to this:
    1. When ROCK was first released, it was very buggy. Made many people have to restore their phones, many times.
    2. Since then the buggyness has subsided, but some users still find heartburn using the ROCK extensions that are required to use most ROCK applications.

You will probably see more threads against ROCK than for, mainly because people usually don't start a new thread to compliment an application.

I personally love all my ROCK apps. I can't live without Intelliscreen, MyWi, Tlert, Elert, iRealSMS and others. I have loaded these apps on many different iPhones without issues, but others say that it has hosed their phone.

So, with all of that said. I'd try it out, you can always get rid of it if it gives you problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

Fish_1 (2010-08-04)

Thanks

Don't get me wrong , I love my irealsms, best thing ever , but I remember a time were we had so many threads in people running out of diskspace because a certain rock file kept increasing in size overnight lol , things like that i wouldn't want to repeat

the picture is almost clear from the above discussion.i ll add my personal experience as well.i have done experiments with Rock app installation.i had to restore many times due to this app.not only the installation is hazardous,but also uninstallation is not very safe.also for me "Rock extensions" required for some cydia apps caused problems.so i would recommend try it only if you are comfortable and ready to restore if any thing went wrong.otherwise you should stay away.

the picture is almost clear from the above discussion.i ll add my personal experience as well.i have done experiments with Rock app installation.i had to restore many times due to this app.not only the installation is hazardous,but also uninstallation is not very safe.also for me "Rock extensions" required for some cydia apps caused problems.so i would recommend try it only if you are comfortable with and ready to restore if any thing went wrong.otherwise you should stay away.
    Last edited by hellodrsoul; 2010-08-04 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I have personally had good experiences and really bad ones. They really equal each other actually as there were a few times cydia apps made me restore and the same with rock. As I have found the apps that I like from trial and error, I have found that restoring my jb phones have been minimized. Trial and error and personal experience will do you well with a jailbroken phone. I haven't been here too terribly long but I've spent a lot time with JB phones and JB apps.

2 cents

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember wayyy back having problems with rock, but that was a long time ago.

I actually prefer rock over cydia. Better interface, more user friendly,and wayyyyyyyy faster, seriously, way faster.

Don't let people scare u away from it, it works perfect. I think a lot of people dislike it simply because of loyalty... Cydia was the original, I think people stick to it for that reason.

Just my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Rock has issues with core updates. I always do updates in Cydia and everything goes fine.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Rock has issues with core updates. I always do updates in Cydia and everything goes fine.
    Thats why I havent given Rock another chance.

I updated my core updates via Rock about 3 months ago and it crashed my phone, then went into a boot loop. I had to restore and lost all my stuff cuz I hadnt synced my phone for a while at that time.

Since then, Ive dealt with Cydia's slowness but nonetheless, I love my Cydia.

rockyourphone=brickyourphone

ok maybe not that bad but it did hose my 3gs one time so I have stayed clear of it. Now with my ip4 and the new jb I am giving it another chance and so far so good. I am confused though about running rock extenions which is described as "a port of mobile substrates" well if I also have cydia and mobile substrates isnt that redundant? or bound to conflict?

Funny u guys say this I downloaded a trial of MyWi through ROCK and my phone unexpectedly crashed/revolted a few times. Stay away from it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Running rock, tried a few trials, absolutley no problems. But as poseidon79 said, it is smart ton use cydia for core updates...that's pretty much all I use cydia for, that and the apps that can only be bought through cydia. For everything else it's rock. You can use rock to browse what apps u want, since it's 10 million times faster, then go over to cydia to download them.