Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reinstall 3.1.2 on already Jailbroken 3GS?

Default Reinstall 3.1.2 on already Jailbroken 3GS?
    Hello guys, could you please advice me if it's safe to restore the firmware to a custom 3.1.2 one? (with Shift + Restore in iTunes)

I already have 3.1.2, my 3GS (6.4 bootloader; 05.11.07 baseband; no ssh saved on Cydia) is jailbroken already with blackra1n and first of all I would like to reinstall everything as the phone is a bit slow and sometimes it freezes, probably too many applications.

Second, ideally I would want to do something so I will not need a PC with blackra1n to start the phone everytime the battery dies.

Thank you in advance.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Without the shsh, you can't reinstall. Why not upgrade to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak?
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Without the shsh, you can't reinstall. Why not upgrade to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak?
    Yes, upgrade to 4.0.1 and use Jailbreakme.com. It will work and you will be happy with the new firmware.
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

I was just about to restore a custom firmware 3.1.2, I am glad I asked first. What would have happened?

I didn't think of upgrading to 4.0.1 as I've heard it doesn't worth and it's slower than 3.1.2 and the battery dies really quick or I'm wrong?

Also, does it upgrade the baseband as well? If you think it's worth, I will do that. Cheers.

Thanks

It would have probably just errored out, nothing too drastic. On the 3GS, it should be fine to upgrade to iOS 4.0, I'd do it. It will upgrade the baseband, but they are ALL unlockable now up to 4.0.1, so it would be alright.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

So it's not slower than 3.1.2 then? Or the battery worse?

Thanks

Not really slower on a 3GS, my main problem with it was that some of the JB apps werent supported iOS4 yet, but thats improving by the day.

Yes! You can custom firmware 3.1.2 without SHSH files if it's old bootrom.

Ah! Just noticed, since you're tethered you can't do custom firmware . Sorry! Guys above are right. Go to 4.0.1 and use JBMe.

Btw, since you were jb before why didn't you use the "make my life easier" option in cydia to auto save your SHSH files?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-08-04 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you guys for your help.

With some apps not supported on 4.0.1 yet it's normal, I can live with that.

I have SHSH's on file for 3.1.3/4.0. I wasn't really aware whether should I back-up the SHSH's or not and when I done it, it was too late.

One more thing, do I update to 4.0.1 with iTunes, yeah?

Yes just straight via iTunes.

Alternatively you could go to 3.1.3 and jb with spirit untethered.

You can always go back to 3.1.3 if you don't like 4.0.1 anyway.

Thank you. I will give iOS 4 a go. Have a great day.

Great, I've done it (4.0.1) and now the "slide to jailbreak" doesn't work at all.

I tried to clear the cache, reboot the phone and turn the pop-up blocker off, go to jailbreakme.modmyi.com (which is redirecting me to jailbreakme.com anyway) with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Clear network settings and try again

What does it do when you slide?

It did not do anything but I done it after resetting the network settings as z3r01 adviced.

I now have that message with "It looks like the installer crashed.." but I see Cydia is installed and working? I will get Installer and see if it works or not right now.

Am I done here or not? If I slide the bar again it says "Warning: It looks like you're already jailbroken.."

Later edit:
    I am trying to install I n s t a l l o u s but I get "The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixex".

Later edit:
    Managed to install I n s t a l l o u s and will check it now but still have that message with "It looks like the installer crashed.." in Safari, when I go to jailbreakme.com. Is it normal?
    Last edited by carlozdre; 2010-08-06 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by carlozdre View Post
    Later edit:
    Managed to install I n s t a l l o u s and will check it now but still have that message with "It looks like the installer crashed.." in Safari, when I go to jailbreakme.com. Is it normal?
    I don't think it's normal. but it happened to me one of the times I used jailbreakme.