Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP with unactivated iPhone 3GS, running 4.0

Default HELP with unactivated iPhone 3GS, running 4.0
    got this iPhone from a friend. I immediately put in DFU upon reciept and restored it. It finishes then asks for activation. Since I don't have an ATT sim card and don't want to buy one, I make a custom firmware w/ PwnageTool (I have a Mac) and tried restoring it while the iPhone was in DFU mode (since it won't take me to the Summary Screen unless I activate first). And I get an Error 1600. So I try it in recovery mode (USB and iTunes logo). And then I get an Error 1604. I try everything, jailbreaking with blackra1n, spirit, Pwnage Tool, redsn0w and I try different firmwares (clean and custom)(3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1) and none of them work, it stays on 4.0.1, gives me the same error every time I restore. When I turn it on, the farthest I can get is the screen which shows slide for emergency in other languages and shows the iTunes and USB logo (like recovery mode).

UPDATE: I got it to 4.0 somehow, not much of a difference, same scenario. I have iTunes 9.2, and when I try the custom firmwares, get a 1600 error in DFU, 1604 in recovery. When I try clean firmwares, I get "This device isn't eligible for the requested build." I've tried multiple downgrading tutorials and none of them seems to work. My thought is the best way to get past this is to downgrading to 3.1.2/3.1.3 and then JB with redsn0w 0.92 or something but I don't think that will help.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE NEEDED! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Afaik, Blackra1n will hacktivate, so if you can somehow get down to 3.1.2 you can activate. 3.1.3 you cannot, Spirit requires activation. Why not just borrow and ATT card from a friend for a few minutes and activate normally?
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

rahulfrancis (2010-08-03)

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Afaik, Blackra1n will hacktivate, so if you can somehow get down to 3.1.2 you can activate. 3.1.3 you cannot, Spirit requires activation. Why not just borrow and ATT card from a friend for a few minutes and activate normally?
    I called Apple and they said to take it to an Apple Store and they would activate it. Since my Apple Store is far away, I decided I'll take it to my local AT&T store down the block. They said they'd do it. Hopefully I'll get there tomorrow or so.

Thanks for the help, though!