Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any Jailbreak App Equivalent to Tasker for Android?

Default Any Jailbreak App Equivalent to Tasker for Android?
    Tasker for Android

Amazing Android app that I would *love* to see on iPhone. Basically, I almost look at it almost like Automator for your phone. Here are a couple of examples that can be done w/ Tasker:

- Place your phone face down on the table- SMS turns off, GPS turns off, ringer goes silent.

- Car is driving 30 MPH, phone detects speed. Shuts off the ringer. Auto-text's your wife saying that you're on the road.

Is there a JB equivalent? If not, there d*mn should be!

w00master

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No.

Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    No.
    Shame... this would be a killer JB app. If there's anything missing on these mobile platforms, it's something like this. Heck, since iOS4 is based on OS X, it would be killer if there were a "services" menu feature for iOS.

w00master

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It sounds good, but why would you want gps and SMS turned off?, that just sounds stupid to me

Quote Originally Posted by Will13 View Post
    It sounds good, but why would you want gps and SMS turned off?, that just sounds stupid to me
    Just providing an example of what it can do... that's all.

SMS off b/c a lot of states now have laws on texting while driving. So, having it turned off or silent would eliminate temptation. But again, just an example.

w00master

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I mean when it's on a table

Quote Originally Posted by Will13 View Post
    I mean when it's on a table
    Again... it was an example. However, if you look through Tasker for Android, it gives you options on what you can do based on the state of the device. Is the device facedown? Is the device on it's side? Is the device faceup?

Based on this, it can then access GPS: turn on or off, positioning, etc.; access SMS: autocheck SMS, create a new SMS text, etc.

These are just some examples.

Here's another one: when plugging into the headphone jack, launch the music app.

w00master

I suppose the closest I can think of is "ATimeTool" which can toggle certain things at certain times (like wifi, bluetooth etc) and I believe you can set it up to send texts, for example, at set times.

Other than that.... Nothing that I can think of!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by w00master View Post
    Again... it was an example. However, if you look through Tasker for Android, it gives you options on what you can do based on the state of the device. Is the device facedown? Is the device on it's side? Is the device faceup?

Based on this, it can then access GPS: turn on or off, positioning, etc.; access SMS: autocheck SMS, create a new SMS text, etc.

These are just some examples.

Here's another one: when plugging into the headphone jack, launch the music app.

w00master
    Ahh cool, might get that if I ever get Android

Quote Originally Posted by kaepora View Post
    I suppose the closest I can think of is "ATimeTool" which can toggle certain things at certain times (like wifi, bluetooth etc) and I believe you can set it up to send texts, for example, at set times.

Other than that.... Nothing that I can think of!
    Thanks for the tip on this. Interesting, but only based on time. However, definitely has some potential here.

w00master

Lifehacker has posted some great articles on Tasker for Android:

How to Turn Your Android Phone into a Fully-Automated Superphone

Push Your Automated Android to Awesome Heights with These Tasker Setups

JB Devs? This is something we all need.

w00master
    Last edited by w00master; 2010-08-03 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I spent a bit yesterday looking for the very same thing....a 'Tasker' for the iPhone. There are a couple out there, but all rely on time to do their tasks. I want it to realize what is happening and act accordingly. For example, when I am home I do not need bluetooth on and only need it in the car. So if my phone could see my home network, bluetooth would stay off. As soon as I left my house (no home network) it would switch bluetooth on for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JungMin View Post
    I spent a bit yesterday looking for the very same thing....a 'Tasker' for the iPhone. There are a couple out there, but all rely on time to do their tasks. I want it to realize what is happening and act accordingly. For example, when I am home I do not need bluetooth on and only need it in the car. So if my phone could see my home network, bluetooth would stay off. As soon as I left my house (no home network) it would switch bluetooth on for me.
    I'm gonna say it. Tasker for Android is a killer app. To me, the biggest weakness with iOS is that there isn't a methodology for global apps. I can understand the security argument, but imho it's still absolutely necessary. On top of this, the "other" weakness for me in iOS is that apps don't speak to each other (unless the specific App developer builds APIs for their app in question). This should be built into the OS imho.

This is a moment when I wish I were a developer, because I'd build this and provide to the JB community. My friends and I have been playing around with it, and it's amazing on what it can do. It's a shame that the UI is crap, but who cares as long as it does the job well.

w00master

I found this thread because I'm look precisely for that. I would LOVE to get my hands on something like Tasker on iOS. To be completely honest, the presence of Tasker on Android makes it tempting to jump from iOS to Android... That's powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by nubbin View Post
    I found this thread because I'm look precisely for that. I would LOVE to get my hands on something like Tasker on iOS. To be completely honest, the presence of Tasker on Android makes it tempting to jump from iOS to Android... That's powerful.
    Nice to see a supporter for this!

Ugh, I really wish I were a dev. I'd totally build this in a heartbeat.

w00master

I've never used Android but apps like this make me want to get an Android device more and more. Does anyone know of an Android device which is an iPod touch equivilent for Android (ie. no phone)?

No news on attacker for iOS? Oh man...I'd love to see that. tasked is simply amazing, yes I've seen the lifehacker profiles, very powerful!

I think the closest, but by FAR, not as robust as tasker is MyProfile. You can use GPS for certain things to happen including sending SMS as well as time based events.