Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Redsn0w or jailbreakme for 3g

Default Redsn0w or jailbreakme for 3g
    Hi, I'm pretty new at jail-breaking, so i did a jailbreak on my iphone 3g yesterday using jailbreakme 2.0, but then i did some research and found out that i could've done a jailbreak using redsn0w a long time ago -_-. The question is should i restore and jailbreak using redsn0w or stay with jailbreakme?

Thanks.

defiently id have to say redsn0w to jailbreak 3g phones. Going to be a lot more stable in the long run. I may be talking **** here but the 3g uses the same iboot exploit on every firmware jailbreak so its nothing neww and therefore relatively safe whilst these new jailbreaks arent the most stable about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxxster For This Useful Post:

fadeawayx24 (2010-08-03)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I wouldnt restore and use redsn0w if I were you. But in the future if you have to restore and jailbreak again I would choose redsn0w for iphone 3g. As Jaxxster said it is the tried and true jailbreak for iphone 3g.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

fadeawayx24 (2010-08-03)

In the end they both do the exact same thing, install cydia and jailbreak your iPhone. Now the easier method is backup your iPhone 3g, update, jailbreak, then restore from your backup, but redsn0w is good to. If you are comfortable with redsn0w then use it, if you don't understand what to do then just use Jailbreakme, like I said they both will do the exact same thing in the end.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to piston597 For This Useful Post:

fadeawayx24 (2010-08-03)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I wouldn't say they do the exact same thing. Redsn0w for instance allows for changing your boot logo whilst jailbreakme does not because Redsn0w jailbreaks at a lower level than jailbreakme.