Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beware of findmyi for new jailbreak! springboard crash.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Beware of findmyi for new jailbreak! springboard crash.
    it made my springboard keep crashing no matter what i did. even if i wasn't using an app at the time. i downloaded crash reporter and found that findmyi was causing that to happen. i deleted findmyi but the springboard kept crashing. went back into cydia/manage/packages and hit expert. even though findmyi was deleted, there was still a package for it. deleted it and no more springboard crashes! jesus i was literally about to restore my phone.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alinadee For This Useful Post:

bettik (2010-10-14), buzzme (2010-08-06), dartthunder (2010-08-05), eddietah (2010-08-18), jcpr (2010-08-18), Luis1983 (2010-08-28), txmommy (2010-12-09)

The same problem happened to me. So, I had to remove FindMyI and FindMyI Framework. These two should be all the package related to the FindMyI and its problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dartthunder For This Useful Post:

txmommy (2010-12-09)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You talking about the source?, cause I haven't had a problem with ModMyI, or anything I've installed from them.

Just removing findmyi itself worked for me, but to be sure, I removed the framework too.

Thanks!

Oh thanks for the explanation.. i was about to restore to 4.0.2 although jailbreak isnt ready

Thanks

Thanks for sharing

Thanks

what is findmyi?

Quick question I went into cydia expert and I found the findmy etc, and I turned it off but I I could not figured how to delete it. It was crashing my phone constantly but since I turned it off my themes work without crashing. Just need to know how to delete it. Thank you

Guys, thank you very much for the idea of "Expert". You saved me from hours of restoring processes. BUT looking at Mobile Substrate Addons (Sbsetting), I can still find "FindMyI" process. THIS IS S***, OMG I'm angry. Some of you maybe can help me finding a way to totally remove this s*** from my iphone? Thank you

First off, you need to have ssh installed on your device, and be able to connect to it wirelessly. Or, install MobileTerminal, but that's just a bit more difficult to use.

Do: `dpkg-query -W | grep -i findmyi`
    You should get a line with 'findmyi' and a version number
    Do: `dpkg-query -W | grep -i fmi`
    You should get a line with 'org.fmi.fmilib' and a version number
    Do: `dpkg -P findmyi org.fmi.fmilib`
    (Note that's a capital -P)

Finally, read up on dpkg and apt (and related commands) in your nearest deb-based linux distro.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzme View Post
    First off, you need to have ssh installed on your device, and be able to connect to it wirelessly. Or, install MobileTerminal, but that's just a bit more difficult to use.

Do: `dpkg-query -W | grep -i findmyi`

You should get a line with 'findmyi' and a version number
    Do: `dpkg-query -W | grep -i fmi`
    You should get a line with 'org.fmi.fmilib' and a version number
    Do: `dpkg -P findmyi org.fmi.fmilib`
    (Note that's a capital -P)

Finally, read up on dpkg and apt (and related commands) in your nearest deb-based linux distro.
    I really wanna thank you but I'm not expert enough to follow the various passages you described after having connected my iPhone to Cyberduck

That's why you need to do a lot of reading.

OK, quick and dirty, and I hope things don't mess up for you...
    Install MobileTerminal through Cydia. Run it.
    Enter these commands:
    su -
    (enter root password, which defaults to: alpine)
    dpkg -P findmyi org.fmi.fmilib

That's all there is to it really. But if you're going to play in the world of Unix/Linux as root, you really need to know what the commands you're about to enter do.

And if your passwords are still the default 'alpine' for both mobile and root, do yourself a favor and run `passwd` as mobile (the default user) and root, and change them.

First af all thank you for your support.
    Just a question: do I have to have this program installed in order to use correctly the mobileterminal command? Is this command the same as disinstalling it from Cydia?

Thanks

When you say "this program", to which program are you referring?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzme View Post
    When you say "this program", to which program are you referring?
    Findmyi... I disinstalled it from cydia but the "Substrate process" is stil running according to sbsetting

OK, that's probably the fmilib.

Again, run MobileTerminal (or log in via ssh) and become root, then do:
    dpkg -P findmyi
    dpkg -P org.fmi.fmilib

The '-P' tells dpkg to purge any remnants of the package. FindMyI is actually composed of two packages, as shown, and you have to get rid of both of them.

I have already disinstalled the two packages from cydia, so trying to input the commands you said into the terminal doesn't do anything: it says to me that the package isn't installed... Anyway the process in the background does exist... Quite strange but thk for advices anyway

Removing the packages doesn't automatically make the process stop. You have to either kill the process or reboot your phone.