Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w doesn't recognize ipsw file

Default redsn0w doesn't recognize ipsw file
    Hi everybody,

Trying to jailbreak 3G with resn0w 0.9.5b5-5 utility. When I run it and point to iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306Restore.ipsw file it says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW."

Any suggestions? I am doing this for the first time. Made mistake 2-3 weeks ago and upgraded to 4.0.1 software. Tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 but no dice.

you have to point it to a 4.0 ipsw not 4.0.1 and it will work

Quote Originally Posted by s1l3nt View Post
    you have to point it to a 4.0 ipsw not 4.0.1 and it will work
    where can i find 4.0 when only IPSW file I can find in user/library/itunes/iphone upgrades is 4.0.1? Are you saying that I should download 4.0 into the same folder just so it's there?

Quote Originally Posted by ZackP View Post
    where can i find 4.0 when only IPSW file I can find in user/library/itunes/iphone upgrades is 4.0.1?
    u search in google and download it

Go to downloads here at Modmyi

It looks like I succeeded! This is what I did.
    Downloaded 4.0 version from this forum. Run redsn0w app and pointed to 4.0 ipsw. It recognized it and immediately did something. After that it asks for connected phone but turned OFF completely. It asked what to enable. I enabled Cydia (I don't know why), wall paper and last selection on the bottom. I intentionally didn't take multitasking.
    After NEXT it went through several screens and downloads and DONE. No other input required. Now I don't know if thing is jailbroken and unlocked. It still shows ROGERS in settings. I guess I would have to try somebody else's SIM card to see will phone accept it.

Thank you everybody who wanted to help!

Quote Originally Posted by ZackP View Post
    It looks like I succeeded! This is what I did.
    Downloaded 4.0 version from this forum. Run redsn0w app and pointed to 4.0 ipsw. It recognized it and immediately did something. After that it asks for connected phone but turned OFF completely. It asked what to enable. I enabled Cydia (I don't know why), wall paper and last selection on the bottom. I intentionally didn't take multitasking.
    After NEXT it went through several screens and downloads and DONE. No other input required. Now I don't know if thing is jailbroken and unlocked. It still shows ROGERS in settings. I guess I would have to try somebody else's SIM card to see will phone accept it.

Thank you everybody who wanted to help!
    My iPhone 3Gs crashed on me when I tried to reset my network settings after installing sinfulrepo. Now that iTunes made me update to 4.0.1 and restore. I cant jb it. I wasn't able to save my SHSH files to Cydia.

Before it crashed I was on 3.1.2os and now I am stuck on the emergency call screen? Am I out of luck? Is there any way for me to jb and unlock this phone? It says I need to activate my phone with a valid sim card and I am with AT&T.

I tried redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 but it kept on saying "unable to recognize ipsw". I've downloaded many 4.0 and 4.0.1 ipsw including one here and it still didnt accept it.

I am very hesistant to take to the store and cough up $200 to have it fix, but if I do that would I be able to unlock it? Can someone please help me or give me some ideas on what to do? I feel like I just put my hand into a burning fire.