Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now that its "legal"...?

Default Now that its "legal"...?
    So, now that its legal what should we call it? Should it still be called "jailbreaking" seeing as how a "Jailbreak" would be illegal? Also will it become commercialized. I have already seen what appears to be legitimate businesses such as computer repair companies advertising to jailbreak and unlock iPhones for their customers. Any thoughts on what legalizing it means. Will it effect the guys we all look up to who provide us with the tools we need to JB our phones? Last but not least as Apple is surely a bit irritated at the ruling to legalize it what steps will they take to keep us from doing it? the new bootrom on the 3gs though it was overcome by the jailbreak community still puts a damper on anyone who owns it to date. Will they come up with another such defense that will slow down the efforts of the guys we all depend on to relentlessly work to provide with solutions for every software, base band, and bootrom apple releases? Lets hear it.
    Last edited by MJMontg; 2010-07-30 at 09:06 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This wont stop Apple from covering up exploits with new fw updates. They can easily claim its to improve iPhone performance or features, even tho they are really just continuing to try and cover exploits.

Couldn't agree with you more. Do you think they will be more vigorous about it or vigilant as they were with this "watermark" there is talk about?

iPhone? More like MyPhone dazzer1983's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as i know it was never illegal anyway. Correct me if im wrong.
    Hit Thanks if i helped

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dazzer1983 For This Useful Post:

Phantom21 (2010-07-31)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It was only "illegal" to Apple lol. And I think theyre already vigorous on this topic haha, Apple wont give up on it and neither will the dev team. Its an unstoppable battle.

True i should reword that but now that it has been declared legal by a court and there is no question as to whether or not it is and Apple can no longer argue the fact.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

What I think we might see is that more mainstream developers will start developing apps that will end up on Cydia and Rock, rather than the App Store. With the potential legal baggage related to jailbreaking eliminated, they may find that they prefer to develop apps outside of Apple's purview.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Makes sense, a jailbroken phone is so much more powerful than a stock one. I can see that happening. Why create apps for app store when they can utitlize jailbroken capacities?

Tho Apple cant legally say anything to restrict this, then I can see where a more "vigorous" rection will occur. Maybe hardware changes in the future to restrict things like MyWi and other 3rd party apps from running properly cuz software changes arent stopping us :P

ah! so lets consider this! If they start losing all of their developers to these third party app stores such as cydia and rock do you think that would sway them a little to change their minds and maybe start to allow some of the things they are restricting on the iphone?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Probably not... i mean youd they think would tho. So many people on other carriers with like the HTC X or Incredible and Samsung Galaxy S and all those new smartphones now are always bashing how the iPhone cant do this or that. Its true, a stock iPhone cant multitask correctly (100% true multitask I mean, Apple's multitask is a half-assed implement) and it cant be fully customized (wallpaper only, seriously??) and so many other thinfs but people dont know the power of a jailbroken iPhone. It exceeds the capacity of any other phone easily! Backgrounder+proswitcher is an awesome multitask system. Winterboard makes customizing possibilities unlimited, just look at the themes Zausser and other great themers are creating. But why hasnt Apple gotten on board with this?

Clearly a jailbroken iPhone makes Apple's creation an amazing device...they know it, they just dont want to give in. Why not shoot all the competitors and haters down with a jailbroken phone instead of implementing silly little features one baby step at a time so they can just laugh at it? I dunno, Apple is stubborn.