Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get data plan to work

Default Can't get data plan to work
    I have my nephew's 3Gs wich is jailbroken with spirit running 3.1.3 and the data plan won't work. Called AT&T and they tried their thing and nothing. The weird thing is... under cydia it says the SHSH files for 4.0 has been saved and not 3.1.3? How could it have saved 4.0 when it's never been upgraded to 4.0 (as far as i know). If it were upgraded to 4.0 it should be downgraded to 3.1.3 right? If not, how is it on 3.1.3 right now? Tried to backup the ECID using USBview and it would work either.

Has anyone ever had this problem or know what the problem could be? I've put his sims in my 3gs and the data plan works so it has to be the phone. I'm willing to try anything right now other than upgrading to 4.0 so i dont loose the jailbreak. Thanks for any help i can get.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You don't have to upgrade to get your SHSH files for a higher firmware. Have you tried to reset network settings? Is AT&T trying to activate an iPhone data plan or some other data plan for you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

excaliburlives (2010-07-30)

They had me reset the network settings. I had them add the 3gs to my sisters plan and add data too. THe paln seems to work fine in my 3gs but when i put the sims back into his phone i get that "could not get data network" error. Really wierd.

you might just need to clean the metal part of your sim card because my data stopped working as well and my solution worked for me. also if your nephew put his sim card in the phone and data worked the phone wouldnt be the problem because yours would work then. if after cleaning it the problem still exists just go to at&t and get a new sim card. hope this helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiettilnow For This Useful Post:

I think you misunderstood. I put his sims card in my 3gs and the data plan works. When i put his sims back into his 3gs it wont work. I believe the card is fine otherwise it wouldn't work when inserted into my 3gs. I was going to restore it back to 3.1.3 wich is what it has now and try the data plan without the phone being jailbroken. I cant restore it 3.1.3 even though it's on 3.1.3, i got a 3194 error from itunes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple no longer signs 3.1.3 so unless you have your 3.1.3 SHSH blobs on file with Cydia and have your host file re-directed then you're outta luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

i got you now sorry for miss understanding. so have you tried your sim because it wasnt stated that you tried your sim in his phone. also out of what i've seen cydia saves all firmware that apple currently signs automatically even if you dont upgrade to that firmware just so you have the file if needed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiettilnow For This Useful Post:

I did try my sims in his phone and no luck. It has to be the phone. Cydia says it has the shsh files from 4.0 saved but the phone is on 3.1.3?! Itried saving my shs files using usbview and i got an error saying it could find it.

you wont be able to save the shsh blobs if apple isnt signing the firmware which right now they are on signing 4.0. with the way that your explaining the problem it sounds more like a hardware problem not firmware. so updating the firmware most likely wont fix the problem.

the other thing that you could try is very carefully clean out the sim card slot because to me it still sounds like it has to do with something with the hardware.
    Last edited by Quiettilnow; 2010-07-30 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiettilnow For This Useful Post:

I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem myself. How would i clean out the sims slot? I'de hate to open it up since that can lead to more problems. If that wont work then theres no need to upgrade to 4.0 if this phone will never have a data plan. My only other choice is to try and sell it and pickup another 3gs.

without opening it the only way that i can think of off hand is doing like the old nintendo systems and blow into the open slot. all other ways besides opening it might damage it.

The old nintendo days, lol, the good old days. Well he took it back home and will be back tomorrow. I'll give that awhack and if it dont work then it's going up for sale on craigslist as-is. Thanks for the help guys and i'll repost after i try that tomorrow, thanx!

your welcome and if i think of a safe way to clean out the slot by then i will post on here. i will give a try on my older iphone to find a safe and easy way to clean the slot.