Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help on iPhone 3G 4.0 Performance

Default Need Help on iPhone 3G 4.0 Performance
    Okay so my iPhone 3g on 4.0 is REALLY SLOW. and my springboard crashes SO MUCH. i really want to keep my multitasking. Is there any other way besides disabling wallpaper and turning off spotlight search? detailed-help with me GLADLY appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have read on here that some have issues with wallpaper and multitasking together. Ithers have said wallpaper is what bogs down the phone. You may want to rejailbreak and disable the different features to see which is best for your phone. You could always use backgrounder as your multitasking.

Thanks

You can disable launch daemons and remove language packs.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

My best advice: go back down to 3.1.x. I couldnt take 4.0 anymore, I had all languages except English packs deletes, all launch daemons that were safe disabled, multitask and wallpaper disabled, and it still wouldnt load my games without crashing before I get to play. Maybe it just me but I dont think using 3GB on an 8GB phone should cause the lags and freezes.

My second best advice is to attempt to improve performance by disabling multitask and wallpaper and removing language packs and disabling launch daemons. Results may vary for diff. phones but I know my phone didnt like it.

I am really enjoying being back on 3.1.3. Honestly the backgrounder+proswitcher is a way better multitasking system than the one Apple implemented which doesnt even work on a bunch of official App Store apps or third party apps like Cydia or Rock. WinterBoard lags my phone much less than iOS 4.

Whew sorry for the rant lol. Honestly tho, iOS 4 isnt worth it on a 3G. Plus, some Cydia apps/tweaks dont even work right on iOS 4 so that was disappointing.

could u please tell me how to downgrade back i have 3g on 4.0 and used redsnow and ultrasnow to go to 4.0, i'm also using windows
    are there any how to's or links on downgrading
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by miladjuckel View Post
    could u please tell me how to downgrade back i have 3g on 4.0 and used redsnow and ultrasnow to go to 4.0, i'm also using windows
    are there any how to's or links on downgrading
    thank you
    I would like to see if you could post some links on info you found regarding downgrading 4.0 to 3.x. It's a pretty hot topic, and it's been hashed to death on many sites.

1) Download redsn0w 0.9.5b-5 and 3.1.x IPSW.
    2) Shift + Restore on iTunes for Windows and select 3.1.x IPSW.
    3) Use redsn0w to JB.
    4) Install ultrasn0w from Cydia to JB.

Credit to Anniex423 who taught me how to do this.

Thanks

how does one remove the homescreen wallpaper?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    how does one remove the homescreen wallpaper?
    When prompted, Redsn0w will allow you to disable them.

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    I would like to see if you could post some links on info you found regarding downgrading 4.0 to 3.x. It's a pretty hot topic, and it's been hashed to death on many sites.

1) Download redsn0w 0.9.5b-5 and 3.1.x IPSW.
    2) Shift + Restore on iTunes for Windows and select 3.1.x IPSW.
    3) Use redsn0w to JB.
    4) Install ultrasn0w from Cydia to JB.

Credit to Anniex423 who taught me how to do this.
    Oy, you beat me to it

Just a note: if you get error 1015 on step 2, its ok. Ignore it, then use TinyUmbrella or Recboot to kick your phone out of recovery mode. Then continue with step 3 and 4 afterwards.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-30 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost