Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3gs + 3.0.1 - How to proceed

Default iphone 3gs + 3.0.1 - How to proceed
    I have a new bootrom on my 32G iphone 3gs.

I jailbroke it using redsnow 0.8 I believe and I'm running 3.0.1 (7a400), modem firmware 04.26.08

I'd really like to upgrade to a newer ios. I cannot use a tethered solution though. I have to turn my phone off all the time. I do not need to unlock my phone.

Sorry, but can anyone give me any suggestions on what to do? There's a lot of information out there on the subject and it's changing fast.

Is spirit a good option for me?

Use itunes to upgrade to 3.1.2 and then run spirit?

Thanks

if you have shsh's for either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 then you can use this to help....

Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows

Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | OS X

if you didn't save your 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 shsh' then you will only be able to restore to 4.0.1 for which there is no jailbreak at this time

cydia says I have on file 3.1/3.1.2/3.1.3/4.0/4.0.1

Why no 3.0.1 if that's the os I am currently running?

What about using PwnageTool 3.1.4 to restore to a jailbroken 3.1.2 firmware? I see this description in cydia, "will only allow you to restore to a jailbroken 3.1 firmware from a jailbroken 3.0 firmware". That seems to match my scenario.

Will PwnageTool 3.1.4 work to upgrade to firmware 3.1.2 if I originally jailbroke with redsnow and not pwnage tool?

Should I keep my baseband intact when using pwnagetool in case I want to unlock in the future?

thanks
    Last edited by sushieater; 2010-07-28 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You don't have 3.1 because you must have jailbroken after 3.1 was released hence apple didn't sign it for you. Lucky for you that Cydia has been backing up your SHSH files though, so now you are free to go to whichever firmware you want.

I would suggest 3.1.3 and run spirit (need itunes version less than 9.2) - plenty of guides for spirit.

For the upgrade, it's going to be the same guide as a downgrade guide.

Once jailbroken, ultrasnow will unlock it for you and you'll be untethered.

Don't worry about your baseband for this operation.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also, how do you know you have new bootrom? To my recollection when 3.0.1 was out which your currently on and have no SHSH so you must of updated when apple was signing it, there was no new bootrom 3GS. They only started appearing around 3.1 era+

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

That's what I was thinking too. You should have the old iboot which means you are golden. Head over to ih8tsnow and download their program that will check your iboot.

I wouldn't trust anything by him!

You have the old iBoot and are good to go with pwnage 4.01 to upgrade your FW to iOS4.0
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Also, when you move up to 4.0/4.0.1 you must have the newest iTunes installed or you won't be able to sync anything to your phone. As always, set the phone up as a new phone after the jailbreak.

woot. F0recast says that I am untethered! I guess I do have the old bootrom.

I use this to sync my music under linux.
    libimobiledevice - Teaching Penguins to talk to fruits
    This doesn't support iphone 4 music syncing yet. I should be able to update to 3.1.2 and then at a later time update to 4.0.1 right?

I should still keep my 04.26.08 baseband intack if I want to possibly unlock in teh future right?

Sorry, can you expand on "As always, set the phone up as a new phone after the jailbreak. "...

Does this mean I have to re-activate? Or my backups wont' work? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks!

Use snowbreeze/pwnagetool to create custom 3.1.3 firmware and do a shift restore.

Thanks

What it means is you should not restore from a backup directly after a jailbreak. It can leave bugs behind and you will lose your partition space that Cydia was using. Back up your notes, texts, saved games, etc etc before jailbreaking an then port them back over after setting your phone up as new.

why 3.1.3 and not 3.1.2?

what should I back them up with? Grab the physical files from the filesystem?
    Last edited by sushieater; 2010-07-28 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sushieater View Post
    woot. F0recast says that I am untethered! I guess I do have the old bootrom.

I use this to sync my music under linux.
    libimobiledevice - Teaching Penguins to talk to fruits
    This doesn't support iphone 4 music syncing yet. I should be able to update to 3.1.2 and then at a later time update to 4.0.1 right?

I should still keep my 04.26.08 baseband intack if I want to possibly unlock in teh future right?

Sorry, can you expand on "As always, set the phone up as a new phone after the jailbreak. "...

Does this mean I have to re-activate? Or my backups wont' work? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks!
    what he means is when you restore iTunes asks if you want to set the phone up as new or restore from backup, it is always recommended to set the phone up as new and not restore from a backup of a jailbroken phone because it has been known to cause issues like poor battery life, etc....

Use pwnage 4.01 to create a custom iOS4.0 and restore to that.You do not need to preserve your BB as UltraSn0w works with all BB up to and including 05.13.04
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Sorry if it's obvious.

But what's the best way to backup my contacts/pictures? I'm not supposed to use itunes, but just copy the files from the filesystem and copy them back?

I think I'm going to update to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 instead of 4 for now as libimobiledevice doesn't support ios4 music syncing yet and I hate using itunes for music...

sorry, still confused... What's the best way to get my contacts transfered over after I set my phone up as a new phone in itunes? If I can't use the Itunes backup sync method, what is there?

You can synch your contacts in iTunes (to Outlook or whatever you use) and you can synch everything back afterwards (photos from camera roll need to be copied manually) just don't restore from a backup made by iTunes.

Everything worked perfect. Thanks everyone.

Good

Quote Originally Posted by sushieater View Post
    Use itunes to upgrade to 3.1.2 and then run spirit?
    You can now update to 3.1.3 and simply go to JailBreakMe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast