Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to bypass/fix iTunes Error 14 ??! So close to 4.0 JB!

Default How to bypass/fix iTunes Error 14 ??! So close to 4.0 JB!
    First off, this is my current setup:
    iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom
    iOS4
    iTunes 9.2.61

Goal: restore using custom firmware from Pwnage tool or Snowbreeze to yield a jailbroken device.

I have been messing for the past three hours working out a method to go directly from ios4 to ios4 JB on my 3GS. I think I have come very close. The process is a bit complicated so I wont discuss it now.

Using my method, I can get my 3GS to START a restore process and progress through a restore using custom firmware produced by snowbreeze for a 4.0 JB. The phone will go to the screen with the apple logo and the progress bar under it, and proceed with the restore as the bar begins to fill. In iTunes, the status says "Restoring iphone firmware" along with a progress bar. As soon as the progress bar in iTunes is finished (and the progress bar on the phone is about 60%) everything stops and it gives me Error (14) the phone will reboot into recovery mode.

If anybody knows how to bypass this error 14 or fix it, please enlighten me. If i can get past that error I can teach everybody how to JB their 3GS's on 4.0 without starting from 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

i did some google-ing. it looks like error 14 is a corrupt firmware error. seeing as your using a custom ipsw, that might be the corrupt part.

the only other thing i would suggest is to use a different usb port on your computer (if youre using a desktop, use the ports on the back, never the front) or try another computer.

other than that, maybe try dfu mode if you have been using recovery mode, or use recovery mode if you have been using dfu mode.

also, if you think what you are doing will work, but sn0wbreeze isn't doing it, try using pwnagetool on a mac or virtual desktop osx to build a custom ipsw. you might even be able to find one built with pwnagetool floating around....
    Last edited by thecrunked; 2010-07-28 at 04:28 PM.

Ive tried using the ipsw created via Snowbreeze, I suppose i'll try the pwnagetool. I have used the same SnowBreeze file to do a legit restore from 3.1.2 JB to 4.0 JB before so I would like to thing that the file is fine. But it doesnt hurt to try.

Does anybody know how to use irecovery to initiate a restore command? I want to try something else as well.